Won't start only when its hot???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't start only when its hot????

I know, yet another no start thread. I have read a bunch of threads on here and most cover some of my problem, but not all.

I have had this 06 F350 since new. Its left me straned 5 times. I have replaced the cam sensor (factory warranty), EGR twice, second time removal for good with SCT tunes, oil pressure fitting, and seized belt tensioner. For the past year 150K - 172K mileage its been perfect. No issues at all. I use only DELO or ROTELLA full syn oil with NAPA filters. I also run Stanadyne fuel treatment and REV X. 2 bottles at every oil change since 120K.

All of a sudden last week, I was driving home from a road trip and I pulled in to get a drink. I shut it down after waiting 90 seconds for the turbo to cool a bit. Ran inside, came back out and it would'nt start. Cranked for only a short time, maybe 5 to 10 seconds and then stopped. I have been told its not good to crank and crank and crank these things. It usually fires right up within half second. So I sat there thinking of what to do and after about 5 minutes I tried the key again. It started. Not immediatly like usual, but within a couple seconds. I drove it home and parked it. I checked the oil and it was within a quart of full. The next morning I came out to go to work and it fired right up. Drove to work, ahut it down and tried to start it up again. No start. Let her sit for half a day in the 90 degree sun. Lunch time, she started. for the next few days it was the same. I never shut it off unless I was at work or home. I changed the oil and filters. Took it out to pick my daughter up and had to shut it down to go inside. Came back out and no start. Only waited a couple of minutes and tried again. This time she cranked for about 5 seconds and fired up. When running she runs fine. Its only a hot start thing I guess.

Any ideas??? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds like HPO leaks wouldn't be able to tell for sure until you get a monitor or scanner that can do live readings of engine parameters while cranking. GET RID OF THOSE GARBAGE NAPA FILTERS ALL OF THEM!!!!!! That is most likely the reason your having these problems if you do have any HPO leaks. USE ONLY MOTORCRAFT GENUINE OIL AND FUEL FILTERS IN YOUR 6.0L POWERSTROKE DIESEL ENGINE!!!!! It's very important, not doing so can cause major problems and even catastrophic engine failure.

Change out the filters and see if that helps the problems. I'm willing to bet you have a HPO leak but won't be able to verify until you get a good monitor on the truck.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Damn. NAPA filters are that bad. I had no idea. Problem is now that I have used them, in order to go back I need to find a filter cap. NAPA filters come with their own. I tried using a Baldwin a few years back and couldn't because of that. Probably a NAPA scam so you have to keep buying them.

What about the DELO or ROTELLS full syn oil? you mentioned Motorcraft oil. I hae always used the full syn on this and my wifes excursion.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Banned

I never said anything about oil delo and Rotella are both good oils. Buy a new oil filter cap at the dealer and all new motorcraft filters ASAP.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just called them. Cap will be in tomorrow. Thanks.

By the way, can you see a HPOP oil leak. or do you have t have a scanner.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Banned

No you can't see it as most of the HPO system is inside the engine. Do you have an iPhone iPod touch or iPad? If so do yourself a favor and order the Dashboss monitor and hook it up in your truck and watch the PID's it gives you. It will read ICP values and you will be able to tell if you have a HPO leak or not when hot if it is struggling to get to at least 500 psi. If you don't have any of the apple products you can buy a scangauge II or edge insight cs/cts they will all read those PID's

Dashboss kit is $180
Edge Insight is $400+ if you add the EAS and EGT probe as well as the Fuel Pressure sending unit.
Not sure what the Scangauge II runs but I thinks its around $250+
Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks Brian. I will check out the dashboss.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Agree with getting Ford filters back in the truck instead of the NAPA stuff.

Best guess without seeing any numbers is that you have a high pressure oil leak (as already mentioned). If you let it go, it could get to the point where the truck shuts down while you're driving it.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Banned

No problem but if you want to monitor FP and EGT's with the dash boss you need to order their EGT complete kit (single its $99 more but worth it if you want to be able to see EGT's) and their Aux input connector $1.50 yes thats one dollar and fifty cents lol. This is what you need to buy for the Fuel Pressure. Pressure transducer or sender,100 psi, for oil,fuel,air Pressure transducer or sender,100 psi, for oil,fuel,air | eBay
Old 08-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Diesel is Power!!!

Sounds like a leak to me also. My truck started doing the hot start thing also about a year ago. I found the dummy plug o ring went bad. I did some investigating and found that oil viscosity has alot to do with when it starts. I used Rotella 15w40 and it would start when the oil was cooler than 170 deg. I put in Rotella 5w 40 syn. and I had to wait till it was less than 150 deg. I guess the bigger the leak the thicker the oil has to be to start. When the leak gets to big it just won't start at all. My problem was fixed and now it came back. The only thing that didn't get changed was the HPOP itself and the injector o rings so now I have to figure out witch is it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.