HG. Cab removal??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 11:17 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down HG. Cab removal???

I was told by a friend (certified ford mechanic) that in order to do head gaskets or studs properly the cab of the truck has to be removed or out of the way and this in turn makes it a pain. Not to mention if taken somewhere to have it done labor costs are sky high due to this fact. Anyone know if this is true or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not true. In the middle of a hg job cab on my truck. The ford service manual also says nothing about pulling the cab. Ford guys do it cause they can have the cab up in like an hour and a half and it saves time with the job itself. But fords manual says to pull the condenser box on the pass side and tear down from there. It's not bad to do it cab on. I can do them in about equal time cab on or off.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 PM

The cab off procedure is not even ford's it was developed by independants just trying to make things easier on them selves. It has become generally accepted and popular.

As ststed it can be done cab on, the problem is the last 2 bolts on each head near the firewall. There is no room for the last bolt to come out at all. Basically you raise the bolt till it clears the bottom of the head and secure it so it can't drop down and catch on the gasket. I have used zip ties rubber bands even a small piece of hose split to go around the bolt. Comeing out catching on the gasket isn't a big deal but going back on it is not something you want to happen.

The problem with these heads are they are real heavy and you will be working at full arms reach so unless yer young and strong you are gona want help.

Just a lil info for you to think on.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Thanks guy I really appreciate it. I'm hoping that this isn't the case but I guess we shall see. I plan on tackling this job myself. Dealers charge WAY too much. And got to learn sometime. On a scale of 1-10 how bad is this for a mid knowledge diesel owner like me?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM

I would rate it at an 8 or so. Lots of little clips and bolts and whatnot that are tough to reach that mechanical experience helps with. However good ol fashion common sense and a bunch of patience really anyone could do it with a general knowledge of how to turn a wrench.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cab removal, head gaskets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.