Bucking, hesitation, missing.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bucking, hesitation, missing....

2003 F-350 6.0 with 134K. It starts good, longest it cranks is 3 full seconds and that is only sometimes mostly starts quick.
Just cleaned EGR, FICM tested good 48.2V, fuel system (including new pump) gone through a couple thousand miles ago. I don't tow more than a boat with it and dont drive it much other than that.
It drove decently but when I get up to speed and it shifts into OD it will hesitate and buck and jerk inconsistently...not like a predictable thing...sometimes it is worse than other times. This happened when engine temps were hot or cold. (NC summertime...never really COLD, cold)
I just changed the oil and treated with Hotshots and it now, when it is cold it has no power at all (and it smokes a little, not much though)until I have been driving for about 10 minutes, then it carrys on like it did with the jerking and hesitation in OD. (I have changed the oil several times before with no issues).
What is weird is that, when it is warm, I can floor it and it'll down shift and itll take of like a rocket with ZERO issues until it gets into overdrive again and I am just maintaining speed.
I had it checked for codes and the mechanic said it showed a few (not sure which ones) but he mentioned possible FICM (which checked good just the other night)
Thank you for any and all help! I need to move my boat around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dude, my exact same issue.
Read my thread I posted.

Since the issue came up I have changed/added-

-new HG's with ARP's (BO blow outs)
-8 new injectors
-BulletProofDiesel 53V FICM power supply
-BulletProofDiesel FICM logic board (tested 100%)
-New OEM Ford FICM harness
-New frame rail mounted HFCM (fuel pump)
-Blue Spring mod
-6.4L Banjos
-Innovative Diesel FICM tuner
-Engine fuel filter
-Oil changes (T5 or T6 Shell)
-Transmission serviced, both filters and fluid
-Transfer case serviced
-Both differentials serviced
-2 New Interstate 875CCA batteries

It makes no sense to me seeing that I have changed all the parts related to the fuel system, electrical and mechanical except the fuel lines.
I have read a bunch of other peoples threads with the same issue. Some describe the issue differently. But all pretty much the same.

I find that this becoming a trend, and someone needs to figure it out.
Its almost to the point where I dont want to drive my truck on the highway.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Forgot to mention-

-New OEM Ford turbo
-New Ford oil cooler
Old 08-05-2012, 01:37 PM

4th & 5th Converter Lock = bucking/slipping
Old 08-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah, I havent done anything to my engine but, I dont really use it for what the truck was built for so I kept it stock. The most I pull with it is my big boat which is, with full tank of gas, 8,500#'s but mostly I pull the bass boat or the ski boat which is really nothing, couple thousand lbs.
I bought it used in 2008 and it was a great truck for a long time until a few months ago. The fuel pump was rebuilt or a new one put in and the mechanic said my fuel pressure is good (I think 56psi?)
Now, I am new to diesels, relative to you guys as this is my first diesel. I will say that if I had this problem on a gas truck, I would suspect it is a transmission issue. The previous owner used it on a hog farm, or near one as I could smell it on the interior for the first few months I owned the truck. It was taken well care of and he never pulled anything too heavy with it.
I have read about problems like this but they say usually the FICM was the culprit so I checked that and got 48.2V and also the EGR was a possibility so I removed that and cleaned it thoroughly (it isnt leaking either).
I am stumped. I hate to throw parts at problems and pay a mechanic to do something that I can do.
Thank you very much, in advance for helping me through this
Maybe someday I could help someone on this forum
Old 08-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, I just read your transmission thread. That is EXACTLY what it is doing...I mean, I couldnt have explained it better myself. I am surprised how much power a 6.0L engine can have and would be very surprised if it were an engine issue as it had no codes, all fluids are GTG, voltages are good etc...
One thing I forgot to mention that your thread didnt mention is that, a couple days ago it did it really bad but, instead of jerking, the engine RPM's increased but, no power was being applied to the wheels as my speed was dropping. And this was at like 20 mph so it was in the lower gears still. Like I said, if this were a gasser truck that I could troubleshoot easier, I would assume I had a slipping transmission. I am going to smell the trans fluid to ensure it isnt burnt. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:48 PM

I have to lean so hard towards a trans issue.
I am no transmission expert, but all signs point to it.
Also, my truck had 60k when I bought it.
I got it from a guy who had a camper he would tow around for vacation.
Not sure how big the camper was, but it was on a gooseneck- my truck came with a B&W Hide-away bed mount ball hitch.
And I tow with my truck at work, anything from 16' skiffs that weigh under 1500# up to 35' offshore center consoles that weigh upwards of 12500# (pretty sure my truck is rated to 12k???).
So my trans could have some problems have 91k on it.

Please update your thread, and subscribe to mine. I will update when I find more out.
I never made it to the transmission shop last week, my work was too heavy. Hoping to go tmrw.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Boy if I had a yammerhammer Id send it to you for performance upgrades! Ive got an old Wellcraft 250 sportsman that weighs as much as a 28'er.
Yeah my truck had the big hide-away ball in the bed as well, telling me the guy probably pulled his hog trailer around but, on average those don't weigh more than 6,500. Maybe because the only thing I do is pull the boat? Surely the truck should be able to take that especially since I do not mash the gas constantly. I accelerate slow to moderate and cruise at 60...who knows.
I just checked my trans fluid. It smells way burnt...like, it really stinks bad. Trans may not be the whole issue but, it is definately part of it. I will check the fluid level when I get a chance...all I had time to do was smell the dipstick.
Ill keep thread updated and subscribe to yours. thanks!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, just changed trans fluid and both filters....still doing the same thing. Would a bad ICP or HPOP do this? Those are about the only things I havent double checked
Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 AM

You might be on to something with the ICP....

I went to the transmission shop yesterday. Transmission is fine.
We had a scanner hooked up for the ride. Not sure why it wouldnt show on my Edge Insight, but the ICP voltage was bouncing up and down when the truck was bucking.

I ordered a new ICP yesterday, should have it today.
But I wont have time to test the truck until tmrw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.