Gasket Problems when studded and stock? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 83
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gasket Problems when studded and stock?

My truck is in for head gaskets for the second time. I had it studded the first time. It's at the dealer but a local shop told me that when my EGR cooler went a few months ago that the fluid entering the cylinder would cause the gaskets to blow. Does this sound right?

My main question is when these trucks are blowing gaskets multiple times, are the tuned? I'd like to keep it for a while longer but I don't want to do this again. If I run it stock should it have any problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mechanicsville, MD or Conway, SC
Posts: 457
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When it went in for HGs the first time were the heads taken to a machine shop, magnafluxed and checked for flatness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 PM
The Silent Service

 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First question, is what work controls were used to ensure the heads were flat and in good shape the first time?

Second, what gaskets were used when the job was done the first time?

Third, are you monitoring the truck in any way?

You still have the stock oil and EGR coolers that can still cause issues. The heads may in fact have been blown a second time, if the EGR cooler failed again.

Most of the trucks I see that are having multiple trips in for HG work, are either running bad gaskets (non-OEM), didn't have the head properly checked, or have experianced a second failed EGR cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 4,247
Thanks: 21
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
First question, is what work controls were used to ensure the heads were flat and in good shape the first time?

Second, what gaskets were used when the job was done the first time?

Third, are you monitoring the truck in any way?

You still have the stock oil and EGR coolers that can still cause issues. The heads may in fact have been blown a second time, if the EGR cooler failed again.

Most of the trucks I see that are having multiple trips in for HG work, are either running bad gaskets (non-OEM), didn't have the head properly checked, or have experianced a second failed EGR cooler.
OP - there's some great advice here. As mentioned, your headgaskets could have blown again if your EGR cooler failed. This is why a lot of people either delete their EGR or buy one from Bulletproof Diesel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good advise but one other "cause" could be your mechanic. It's hard to rebuild the top end while it's in the truck. It's tough to torque the studs without the right tools. I'm not saying that your guy doesn't know what he's doing but some don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mechanicsville, MD or Conway, SC
Posts: 457
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleEngine.com View Post
Good advise but one other "cause" could be your mechanic. It's hard to rebuild the top end while it's in the truck. It's tough to torque the studs without the right tools.
...and this is why we yanked my engine out to do it. It is the "hard way" but sometimes doing it right means doing it the hard way.



.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mechanicsville, MD or Conway, SC
Posts: 457
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
...by the way, I had to buy two new heads because both of mine were cracked. If you even THINK your head gaskets MIGHT be toast, get it checked out. My $5000 rebuild (HGs, studs, Sinister EGR, oil cooler, etc. +labor) turned into a $7500 job because of cracks caused by heat, likely from the cracked EGR cooler.

My advice - delete the EGR system entirely if you can.






.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Carrollton Ohio
Posts: 8,839
Thanks: 65
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman349 View Post
...by the way, I had to buy two new heads because both of mine were cracked. If you even THINK your head gaskets MIGHT be toast, get it checked out. My $5000 rebuild (HGs, studs, Sinister EGR, oil cooler, etc. +labor) turned into a $7500 job because of cracks caused by heat, likely from the cracked EGR cooler.

My advice - delete the EGR system entirely if you can.






.
Or you could have spent $19 on the head stud adapter tool and done it in cab with no problems lol















Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brookhaven NY
Posts: 196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuscany what head stud adapter are you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors