CRANK NO START ! ! ! ! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CRANK NO START ! ! ! !

Big problem here, at my ends ! ! ! ! Give you guys a little back story. Have a 2005 F350 6.0. Guys motor threw a rod . . . So we got a junkyard motor and slammed it in. At the same time put in updated head gaskets and bolts from FORD. New filters fuel and oil. . . Truck goes 2 weeks and comes back rough running. After diag found low voltage at FICM (32 volts). Took FICM apart and found the resistor soldier cracked. Resoldiered all of them and also other common problem soldier joints. Reinstalled and truck ran GREAT (solid 48 volts). Well . . . About 6 months later truck comes in running fine but popping back through intake. Found 2 bent pushrods and 1 roller liffter blown up. I replaced broken lifter and F*d up camshaft. Checked all other lifters, OK. Put motor back together, ran truck for 2 days and about 50 miles. Truck ran great ! ! ! I gave the truck back to the guy and idleing there starts to misfire and run like crap ! ! ! ! I hook up scanner and have balance codes for cyl 1 & 2 (P0263 & P0266). So i did an electrical test on injectors . . . All injectors test out okay (0.3-0.4 ohms). I leave truck for the morning . . . Truck doesnt want to start now ?!?! Check voltage at FICM (48 volts) (12.5 volts second screw) ICP is at 1127 psi demand matches actual. IPR is at 40%, 55 at first crank but goes down to 40. Had a spare GPCM so through that in, still nothing. Checked the usual rub through spots on harness . . . nothing, i think this has updated harness cause every suppect place has extra insulation. ICP sensor is also brand new. Scanner says cam and crank SYNC is OK . . .out of ideas !?!?!?!? PLEASE HELP ! ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm thinking your ficm repair was a temporary repair, logic board took a crap.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 08-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^^ that's be my guess too
Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was thinking the same . . . I was wondering if there was any way of testing the board or is it pretty much throw one in ??
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I think you have to test the voltage?? I'm not 100% on that but I think thats what you do to see if it crapped out on you. I think that the voltage on the logic board should be around 14v I can't remember.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well put another FICM in and still nada . . . Only thing i can tell is my injectors click slow on key on. I remember that the click very fast orignally and now it's like 1 click a second . . . I have no clue
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does that mean you got a new ficm?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is your battery input voltage to FICM 12v min. I have seen low voltage to cause some freaky FICM responses.

Have it scanned on live data while cranking. Look at all FICM voltages in and out. Check for sync both FICM and PCM, Check all crank run pids for good measure. ICP actual and desired Fuel pressure etc. You need to see what the PCM is seeing.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

input to FICM 12.5, Have battery charger on it. Plus i put 2 new batteries for good measure. I got a FICM from a running truck. Didnt want to spend alot of $$$$ on a guess. Still exact same thing, crank no start. All pids and sync look good. At least on the Snap On scanner they say okay. I put starting fluid in and it lights up for a quick second.ICP actual and desired still match up at between 1100 - 1200 (varys on cranking). Got a Ford diesel tech comming to look at it for $80.00 tomorrow morning so we'll see what he has to say. Keep you guys posted. I'm thinking a bad ground or something in harness . . . Slow injector click is pointing me that way . . . we'll see
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

any luck on this ?Got identical issuse almost my icp are at 980 and my ficm sync reads 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.