Blowing smoke after a no hot start fix. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blowing smoke after a no hot start fix.

I could use some advice... I've got an early build (12/02) 6.0. There's currently about 130k on it and back in late '08 it got new headgaskets, studs, oil cooler, coolant bypass filter, etc. Almost 2 yrs ago it got 8 new injectors and has been running great ever since. It's also got a Banks 6-gun/intercooler/exhaust, etc.

I should also mention that I've installed a vegistroke system so I have the ability to run off veggie oil using a separate fuel system.

So, driving home from Duluth, MN to Mpls, pulling an empty 24' car hauler, I noticed black smoke (about 140 miles into a 200 mile trip). No loss of power or anything else. Made it home just fine. It was due for an oil change anyway so on the off chance it was a stiction issue, I added 2 bottles of Rev-X. After the oil change, the truck started fine but died once up to operating temp, then a no start when hot issue (no power, chugging, etc.). Would start again when cold but choke and die when hot.

I don't have a scan tool so I checked the FICM and it tested out at 47.1/47.5. I then bit the bullet and replaced the ICP sensor and the IPR valve, hoping that might solve my issue. I also did the "blue spring" update at the same time.

I then started it up on diesel - it smoked at startup, first white, then it turned black quickly with a concentrated diesel smell. However, it ran great, even after hot - no more chugging and death once hot - that problem seems fixed. Once I road tested it, it bellowed out black smoke and looked like I must have been towing a burning house. Must have killed off a few mosquitoes, so that's a plus.

Thought it might have something to do with the blue spring upgrade so I switched over to the veggie oil but still smoked a ton so I've eliminated that as an issue. Interestingly, running on veggie and at idle, there's no smoke, but when I switch back over to diesel (at idle) it smokes a ton.

Again, the truck runs great - best on veggie oil (100% lubrication) - super quiet and no hesitation, but smokes like there's no tomorrow.

I'm thinking of ordering an AutoEnginuity scanner (my wife drives a Ford too, so it'll probably pay for itself eventually). Until then, any ideas what I should look for next?

-Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Forgot to mention it got an EGR delete as well.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need a monitor.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Don't hold me to this but I vaugely remember something about when useing a multi fuel system you have to use a certain species of injector thats set up for burning multi fuel.

Could be your problem. It has been quite a few years since I played with a multi fuel system.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Check the MAF sensor. I left mind unhooked one time and it smoked like a freight train but still ran ok.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
Don't hold me to this but I vaugely remember something about when useing a multi fuel system you have to use a certain species of injector thats set up for burning multi fuel.

Could be your problem. It has been quite a few years since I played with a multi fuel system.
I had never heard anything about this before. I do know there are guys running vegistrokes with hundreds of thousands of miles on stock injectors without issue, but who knows...
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanix View Post
Check the MAF sensor. I left mind unhooked one time and it smoked like a freight train but still ran ok.
I pulled and cleaned the MAF sensor - then was sure to reinstall it, thinking it might be the culprit. Unfortunately, there's no change - it still smokes like there's no tomorrow. It looked clean when I pulled it, but sprayed it down with MAF sensor cleaner anyway.

Got a friend who works on a lot of these trucks on the side - he said he talked with others who do even more work on these trucks and the consensus is that it's a bad FICM, even though it tested out okay. He said they've experienced issues with bad FICMs that still read 48 volts. Of course, the only real way to check is to replace it with a known working FICM, which I don't have. Anyone else have a bad FICM that tests out okay??

I don't have the money, but I need the truck - it's been idle a long time while I've been dealing with an ongoing family emergency. But, I do need it again so I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting it rebuilt @ Swamps Diesel to see if that fixes the problem. Just hate to waste $ I don't have if it doesn't fix it.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz 6.0 View Post
I pulled and cleaned the MAF sensor - then was sure to reinstall it, thinking it might be the culprit. Unfortunately, there's no change - it still smokes like there's no tomorrow. It looked clean when I pulled it, but sprayed it down with MAF sensor cleaner anyway.

Got a friend who works on a lot of these trucks on the side - he said he talked with others who do even more work on these trucks and the consensus is that it's a bad FICM, even though it tested out okay. He said they've experienced issues with bad FICMs that still read 48 volts. Of course, the only real way to check is to replace it with a known working FICM, which I don't have. Anyone else have a bad FICM that tests out okay??

I don't have the money, but I need the truck - it's been idle a long time while I've been dealing with an ongoing family emergency. But, I do need it again so I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting it rebuilt @ Swamps Diesel to see if that fixes the problem. Just hate to waste $ I don't have if it doesn't fix it.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
This is true. Ficmrepair.com

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 AM

Update: Got the Auto Enginuity and pulled a code on cylinder #8. I opened her up and pulled the #8 injector. It wasn't loose, O-rings were all in place and everything looked okay on the injector, except the tip was pretty black. I went ahead and got a new injector (Tip: Tousley Ford in White Bear Lake, MN sells them online for $220 after the core. Though I live in MN, there was a dealer closer to me that matched the price so I could just swing in and pick it up - Tousley has good prices and it's worth asking your dealer if they'll match them on any parts you need to save time and shipping expense).

I installed the new injector (and had previously installed a new ICP sensor and IPR valve - My ICP was oily so I replaced it and I'm guessing the IPR valve had issues that were responsible for my "no hot start" problem which was fixed after the new IPR). After installing the new injector, it took a bit of cranking to start due to the air in the system but she fired up and ran great... AND NO MORE SMOKE!! The exhaust smells just like it's supposed to and it seems to run great. Appears there's no problem with the FICM.

I hope this might help anyone with similar symptoms to diagnose what's wrong with their 6.0. Thanks to everyone for your help and tips - I appreciate it!!

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Ed at FICMREPAIR.COM. I contacted him to see about rebuilding my FICM. After telling him my symptoms, he said he was almost certain it wasn't the FICM but was rather a bad injector (before I scanned it). Here's a guy that's turning business away because he's being honest while still taking his time to help. He didn't get my business this time around, but he definitely earned a customer for life. I would highly recommend Ed for any FICM issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.