What kind of deltas do you guys see in all driving types? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What kind of deltas do you guys see in all driving types?

So I bought my new CTS last week and got it on the truck last night. Love CTS itself, but I was a bit concerned with what I see on it. I went for a little test run last night doing several different types of driving. Trans was good, EGT was good, ECT was good, however my deltas where a little bit higher than expected. I live about 3-4 miles out of town, so I drove it into town, by then the delta was basically zero. Then I kinda tore into a few times light to light, and my delta got all the way up to 26* or so. Finally, on my way back out of town I drove a few extra miles at 60-65 to get back, and the delta fell back down to 17* or 18* or so, but then it was time to get back in. Now I know that you are supposed to judge the deltas by driving on a flat surface at 60-65 for a while, but I really just ran out of time. Bottom line is, do you guys think those deltas are too high? I have the canned towing tune from my X3 in it right now, and you guys can see the mods in my sig. Obviously I have no egr cooler, and I just flushed my coolant system about two months ago and put in new ford gold. I am planning on towing my trailer and a few harleys to sturgis this weekend, shouldn't be much more than 3k on the trailer at most, think Ill be safe? I have 15-40 rotella in it now, think a change to 5-40 synthetic would help?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 06:56 AM
The Silent Service

You need to get a solid test of the coolers at 60-65mph, while at temp. With those numbers, I'm thinking you are pretty close or at the time for a rebuild/replacement. Particularly if you have that trip coming up.

Also when you observed your zero delta in town, what was ECT at?

To help you use your CTS to its best:
Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:28 AM

Just a quick question is it bad if your ect is higher than the eot? Running at 55 to 60 my ect is 190 to 193 and my eot is 197 to 200. It usually stays 5 to 8 degrees within eaxh othwr at operating temp and highway speed.i love my cts by the way too!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM

My ect in town was at about 185-190 id say, I dont expect that I will be able to do anything about it before I leave in a couple days, and really to me those numbers seem a little high, but not anywhere near as bad as a lot of the folks on here. Thats why I asked about the synthetic oil just for now.

Last edited by stng_96; 07-31-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 AM

So I have been reading in the 6.0 tech section a little. About 6 months ago I had a computer hooked up to my truck and my deltas were 10* max. Then about two months ago I flushed my coolant system using the flush and fill method, with distilled water and new ford gold coolant. Do you guys think I inadvertantly clogged my cooler when I did this?

Also, there is a good write up about reverse flushing your oil cooler to get the junk out, think this is a possibility for me?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:54 AM

Yea that is possible that you clogged the oil cooler. Idk if a reverse flush would work or not. You prolly be better off just replacing the oil cooler and get rid of the crap gold coolant and get the elc coolant and get coolant filter
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by stng_96 View Post
So I have been reading in the 6.0 tech section a little. About 6 months ago I had a computer hooked up to my truck and my deltas were 10* max. Then about two months ago I flushed my coolant system using the flush and fill method, with distilled water and new ford gold coolant. Do you guys think I inadvertantly clogged my cooler when I did this?

Also, there is a good write up about reverse flushing your oil cooler to get the junk out, think this is a possibility for me?
Short answer, yes you clogged the unit with the flush. Folks do it alot, without thinking about it, you aren't the first.

I don't feel that reverse flush is worth attempting, due to the design of the internals of the cooler. You may get a few thousand more miles out of it, but you can't clear all the junk. You have the motor torn down to the cooler, put a fresh on in there and be certain of its health to start with.

I have stopped following the coolant life-cycles and flushing intervals prescribed by Ford Motor Company, due to these coolers. With the Ford Gold, you will be very hard pressed to get 100K out of a cooler with the EGR cooler intact. If you flush the system at 50K, you will most likely clog the cooler anyway. So what I do now (until my next oil cooler rebuild, and I make a coolant swap) is allow the oil cooler to determine everything. When its ready to go, here's the sequence I recommend:

1) Flush with Restore.
2) Flush with Restore Plus.
3) Flush with Distilled water multiple times.
4) Drain the system as completely as possible.
5) Tear down to the oil cooler.
6) Solve your EGR cooler (block, delete, or upgrade - dont reinstall an OEM unit)
7) Take the time to pressure wash the Intake Manifold.
8) Clean the EGR valve.
9) Rebuild/replace your oil cooler (or shift to the external unit from BPD)
10) Reinstall everything.
11) Refill your coolant system with concentrate and distilled unit.
12) Refill the oil and change your filters.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Yeah, so after circling the wagons about a hundred times, I decided not to risk it and go with a new cooler....even though I am not very happy about it. Worst thing is, I need the truck on Saturday morning, and I work every day so I have to pay someone to do work that I can do myself which really erps me.....Oh well.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Since you won't be doing the work yourself... make sure whoever is doing the job for you does the proper coolant flush before the new oil cooler is installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.