Direction needed after oil cooler and hpop update - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Direction needed after oil cooler and hpop update

Ive got an 06 6.0 with 97k having no start when hot issue. Bought updated STC fitting, Dummy plugs, standpipes, and oil cooler. While doing this, upon pulling the passenger valve cover I noticed the dummy plugs were already 12mm hex and I grew skeptical. Sure enough dummy plugs, standpipes, and stc fitting were already done by previous owner but all were changed anyway. Everything went in this weekend but I'm still having issues with starting hot. Its not any worse, its just not any better. While hot its maybe a good 10 seconds of cranking to get it started. I can watch the oil pressure needle on the dash. It goes from no pressure to pressure shooting up after the 10 or so seconds and then fires a little after that. Ive pulled ICP sensor and cranked watched the needle move up but it still doesnt start. Pluged the sensor back in and it starts after cranking. Im looking for what to do next. I'm thinking IPR?? Also while doing this there was no heat shield on the IPR. I dont have a scanner so I dont have any ICP or IPR numbers available. I have a banks six gun tuner on setting number 1 (I know Banks is bad for the 6.0 but it came with it) the only code its throwing is Glow Plug module. I forgot what the code number was but it started right before the motor was torn down and is still showing up. I would appreciate any guidence or info. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 PM

unfortunately, you're gonna need to see icp readings to begin to diagnose this.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
95% positive your HPOP or IPR valve is shot. Did you happen to take the IPR valve out of the HPOP and look at the screen when you did the repairs? If so were there any holes in the screen? If so you need to replace both the IPR and HPOP and you should be good to go. Also did you update the turbo oil feed and drain tubes, or check to see if your ICP sensor is leaking? Those would be good places to start.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
95% positive your HPOP or IPR valve is shot. Did you happen to take the IPR valve out of the HPOP and look at the screen when you did the repairs? If so were there any holes in the screen? If so you need to replace both the IPR and HPOP and you should be good to go. Also did you update the turbo oil feed and drain tubes, or check to see if your ICP sensor is leaking? Those would be good places to start.
Thanks for the replies guys. I know I need to get some figures from a diagnostic. The IPR was taken out as well as the HPOP to do the STC fitting. As far as the screen it was clean nothing really jumped out at me. The screen on the IPR was replaced with the new one that came in the updated STC fitting kit. The turbo lines I did not replace and didnt really pay much attention to. With everything that was done by the previous owner they may have been, I just never thought to pay much attention to it. ICP was not oily in any way. I just thought it was strange that I unplugged the ICP sensor and it would only turn over and not start until I plugged it in.

On a side note I'm sure someone out there will know, how heat sensitive are the IPR valves??? I'm asking this because mine had no heat shield wrapped around it and still doesnt. Just wondering if it got too hot and cooked it somehow.

I'm debating paying someone to run the diagnostic on it or going to autozone and pick up a ScanGauge. Just not sure how much more elaborate the one from the stealership is.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I dont know if an autozone scanner is going to be able read the live data that you need to monitor to help diag your issue. There may be others out there that are reasonably priced but autoenginuity has worked well for me. you need the Ford expansion package and the total is around $400. It can monitor everything you need.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM

I very well could be wrong but I was under the assumption that the scangauge monitored icp and ipr?

Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide
Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have seen a lot of IPR valve without the heatshiel on them with no failures. You can order a new shield through ford if you want to order one. If you need a new IPR valve I can priority ship you one fast for good deal.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 PM

first, you need to determine if it is an oil pressure related issue. then, if so, leak test it. could even be an injector o ring
Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchaseo View Post
I very well could be wrong but I was under the assumption that the scangauge monitored icp and ipr?

Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide
i think you are right. I hadnt thought about that scanner. I dont know if it has the additional capabilities thought that the autoenginuity tool does. the newer once can actuate components, like the IPR valve, buzz test, etc. for just reading pressure i think that would work.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:01 AM

Just wanted to update everyone. Ive been driving it and it runs good as long as its not shut off. I took it to my local stealership and got the diesel diag. done. All they said was that it was slow to build ICP and wanted wanted $600 just to pull the covers and air test. I dont have the time to do this so I got a hold of a mechanic to take a look at it. He called me the other day and said there is no high pressure oil leak but rather is leaning toward the crank/camshaft. He said he was going to bring his other computer home and run the diesel timing test (I think thats what he said) so he can narrow some things down. He's leaning towards my issues being caused by the engine harness, the sensors themselves, or a tuning wheel on the crankshaft. I will keep everyone updated if I find anything else out.
Thanks for all the answers and if you have any info on this I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.