Random Stalling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random Stalling

Help ME!!!

04 powerstroke 6.0 with the early motor 110K

randomly stalls while driving at low rpms and random hiccups while accelerating. Some times it will stall sometime it won't drive the truck 300 miles this weekend and truck didn't have any problems. Wife drove the truck to work and it stalled at a red-light. Will often stall when just idling before i drive it. Like someone turned off the key. ALways starts right back up no problem.

can be very sluggish before it warms up. turbo spools but no boost

Replaced: icp sensor, cam ps, crank ps, exhasut back ps, new airfilter,

fuel pressure stays at 50 psi and doesn't go down at wot

no codes!!

wiggled all the wires i can no problems.

I have a hypertech programmer that i use to check sensor and codes
i have been able to record the stall once while slowly pulling out of driveway at about 6mph 0 boost and 14 psi map first thing to go was inj PW bank. icp was over 1000psi and ipr over 30%

seems electrical because it shutoffs so immediately and starts again. i can't find anything

work done: fcdp egr delete, swamps 58volt ficm, arp head studs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

try scanning using something capable of reading manufacturer specific codes
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i hate to defend my POS programmer but its been good to me with codes. i have had p0240 fan control when a wire pulled out on the fan clutch. i get the egr codes when the egr valve isn't plugged in. I've had cylinder contribution codes in the past. iv had the crankshaft code from excessive cranking times after doing the studs years ago

if i could afford anything better i would
Old 08-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My truck is doing the exact same thing! My CEL just came on and it shows the ICP sensor is bad. I know your post said you already changed that, how long ago did you replace it? You might check the connection, sounds like it could just be loose if you changed it not long ago. Also some guys have had them go bad after only a few thousand miles...
Old 08-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i changed it to try and fix this problem and nothing changed. i wiggle plug while idling and nothing happens
Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you giving it enough gas before you left off the clutch?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
hmm... Well while I have your ear, did you change the sensor yourself? Im getting ready to tackle it myself and just wondered what your thoughts were on it.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

was the clutch thing a joke? gas?

anyway....sorry i didnt see your post bradyyoung

03-04 have sensors behind the turbo. i did it in 15 from underneath the truck with a 1 1/16" deep socket from auto zone take the new sensor to autozone to make sure the size. it was not easy getting the 3/8 ratchet on after the socket was on but i made it happen. very frustrating but i made it happen. have to shove arm all the way up. its the sensor closest to firewall. the other one is the ipr

if you have late 04 and on its on the valve cover and it will be easy

as far as my problems its looking like its the ficm again. i bought a donor and it runs great and isnt sluggish when cold and hasnt stalled yet. i have to prove the original ficm is bad before i send it back to swamps again or they will charge me labor to test it.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Swamps sucks

summary: Ficm was bad even after the swamps 58 volt upgrade. would stall and shut off instantly. put in a temp ficm and everything was perfectly fine. put the swamps ugraded would act up again.

after fightning with swamps for a few weeks they illegally charged my credit card and sent me a different ficm which has worked fantastic. but according to them my problem is magical. im so sorry for the poor soul they send my ficm.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

May sound like a long shot but I had an 03 come in my shop with the similar symptoms stalling at low rpm typically when approaching a traffic light or stop sign rough running sometimes. Found that someone had broken the fan harness clip on the stator where it holds the harness from getting caught up in the fan it shredded the wiring under the clip and was send wacky signals to the pcm causing the egr to open up at the wrong times. He also had studs, swamps ficm and new injectors, ipr , icp and hpop all replaced shortly before I got it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.