No start after motor warms up??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start after motor warms up???

I have a 2004 6.0 that I have install reman injectors and new hpop and icp, ipr, oil cooler, egr delete kit! Run good after injector swap. After Agee thousand miles it would start in morning then I would drive to work and shut off then no restart! After it set for a few hours would restart only as soon is I get it home no start again! I changed glow plugs and controller! Plus harness to the glow plugs! Then installed reman ficm! Still no help in problem! When it is running it runs great just trying to get it to start after it warms up is the problem!
Here is what my scanner shows:
Icp voltage at KOEO .24
Icp cranking DSD 713
Icp psi 363
Ipr 85
Ficm sync yes
Ficm 100%
Any help or ideas please! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not an expert just an owner

my 04 early motor never goes below 550 psi warmed up at idle and the ipr is only in the 20s. sounds like its getting enough psi to start but once warm it can't build the the oil pressure because of some o ring or seal. maybe where injectors go into oil rail
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you need to leak test the HPO system
Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk/blk93 View Post
I have a 2004 6.0 that I have install reman injectors and new hpop and icp, ipr, oil cooler, egr delete kit! Run good after injector swap. After Agee thousand miles it would start in morning then I would drive to work and shut off then no restart! After it set for a few hours would restart only as soon is I get it home no start again! I changed glow plugs and controller! Plus harness to the glow plugs! Then installed reman ficm! Still no help in problem! When it is running it runs great just trying to get it to start after it warms up is the problem!
Here is what my scanner shows:
Icp voltage at KOEO .24
Icp cranking DSD 713
Icp psi 363
Ipr 85
Ficm sync yes
Ficm 100%
Any help or ideas please! Thanks in advance!
You have a HPO leak still. The FICM will not fire the injectors if the ICP isn't sending a signal that the 500 psi minimum pressure to the injectors is satisfied. If you didn't do it when you did the other repairs you most likely need new stand pipes and dummy plugs. It would be a good idea to do a leak test as already stated to find out where the leaks are coming from so your not throwing parts at the problem hoping it fixes it.

What causes the no start when hot issue is that when the engine is cold the oil is cold and is thicker so to speak so this allows the pressure needed to be satisfied. Once the engine is warm or up to temp then the oil thins out like its supposed to and when you shut the truck off and try to restart it the oil it to thinned out to plug the leak enough to satisfy the pressure needed to fire the injectors. It instead leaks through the point where the leak or leaks are and causes the drop in pressure.

Last edited by Tuscany; 07-31-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice! What is the best way to do a pressure check! Should I get a complete seal kit for rail and standpipe or do I have to get new stand pipes? Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

is your '04 the early 6.0, I think if its a build date before mid september, or the later model '04? If its the early one, it wont have the dummy plugs and the stand pipes are different but they are updated.

there is an air test where you pressurerize the system via the icp port and listen for air either under the valve covers, turbo drain tube port or oil filter housing. depending on where you hear the air escaping whould hopfully narrow down where the leak is. There are writeups I have seen on this site that go into more detail that would probably give you more info.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks I will try that! It is a late 04 it has standpipes and dummy plugs!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i think what i'd do, since you want the valve covers off anyways when you air it up, is just check the dummy plugs first. they're the most common to go.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having the same problem, got new dummy plugs and stand pipes, replaced them last week, it ran fine for about a week, same problem, changed oil and oil filter, started fine for 2 days, now back to square one again. when cold it starts in about 3-5 sec of cranking time, but takes about 1 to 2 sec for the oil pressure gauge to come alive once started, on long cranks of about 10 sec or higher the oil pressure will come up but still no start. I need some help to figure this out, removing valve covers twice in 1 month is getting old.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exclamation Hot start problem

I'm starting to run on stupid read a bunch of posts and got even more confused, as stated before I already changed dummy plugs and standpipes, in the mean time I got myself a Edge Evo CTS, have been taking a look at my ECT 194* and EOT 215*, noticed that delta runs between 17* to *20 at times, but I live on island that's always hot 85*-99*.(thinking oil cooler replacement). also been checking my ICP pressure and seems to be running within desired margins, also checked fcim voltage runs between 47 and 48V.

Yet I'm still having hot start problems
Other things I have noticed is on a cold start it will start but feels a bit weak I drive for about 20FT and its a happy camper again and runs fine.
should I try to bulletproof it? trowing parts at it is rather expensive for me as everything has to be order in the US and Shipped to the island. (2-3weeks) but beats going to the ford dealer where I would have to wait 3 months for replacement part and pay about 3 times as much.

I NEEEEDDD HELP !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.