turns over, but will not fire - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turns over, but will not fire

stock 04 6.0 liter. oil and filter changed two weeks ago. batteries are about 1.5 years old. test fine on volt meter. been running fine, check engine light came on, but went off once oil was changed. went out this morning, and truck will not fire, just turns over. not sure where to begin, any suggestions? do not have a code reader, just basic tools. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Start by trying to get a scanner on it and let us know if you get any codes. You can also start by testing the FICM.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Unless you get it scanned for codes and live data while cranking by a competent tech your just spinning your wheels and fixing to throw $$$$$$ at it.

Just too many variables that can cause a no start/hard start.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey bro... kinda sounds like what mine decided to do today,,,, cranks over fine but won't start... I have a bully dog hooked up to it and the code I am getting is P2291 Injector pressure too low-engine cranking,,,, I know what the code is but I have no idea how to fix it?? sounds like we are in the same boat?? I am wondering if a plugged fuel filter could be the cause of this.... the bully says the last fuel I got is rated d+ so maybe it has plugged the fuel filter,,,, it hasn't been changed in awhile,,,, Just hate to start throwing money at it blindly???? Anyone got an idea?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Mine did this and my fix was a new ICP and sent my FICM of to FICM Repair but it could actually be a number of things. Try unplugging your ICP and if it cranks then thats your problem.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok cool..... I will try that but I am ignorant when it comes to these trucks,,, where is the ICP and what is it?? thanks for the quick reply earlier too by the way...
Old 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

up behind the turbo on the driver's side. you can reach it from underneath!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did not get a scanner on it, but I was able to test my FICM. It tested at 48 volts with the key on, but when I tried starting the truck, the voltage dropped to 17.3/17.4. Truck still will not start. It seems from everything that I have read on this forum, I have found the problem. Is it better to buy a new ficm, or have my redone?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would sent it to Ed at FICMrepair.com and get it fixed and have it loaded with the Atlas 40 tune while it is there! Even with the tune it will be cheaper than getting one at Ford!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie67 View Post
ok cool..... I will try that but I am ignorant when it comes to these trucks,,, where is the ICP and what is it?? thanks for the quick reply earlier too by the way...
You have an 06, your ICP is on the passenger valve cover. Right nearly under the alternator. In this picture, bottom of photo, center, see the brown sensor? That will be your ICP. Motor build dates after 9-23-03 should have them there.

Edit: the ICP's for the 2 different builds are different. They are not interchangeable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.