6.0L coolant over pressurized - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L coolant over pressurized

Hello. This should be an easy answer for all you experts out there. I got. 2003 ford f350 4x4. 6" lift. With a 6.0L. Just recently replaced the egr cooler and oil cooler as preventive maintenance. Put CAT ELC coolant. And when I brought it home. I unplugged the batteries and at that time unplugged the egr valve. Did the VGT Turbo relearn on it. Runs ok. Just put sct tuner with custom tune on it. And the truck is puking coolant. Thought it was bc I out too much. But I run it and check it later n its very low. But check it later after it sits and when I unscrew the cap. The coolant seems to rise to a certain level

Can somebody help me out here. Thanks in advanced n I appreciate all you guys help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The Ford revised couldnt level is the min. line, make sure it's not over that line. You need to tion the heater to get the air out also. Don't run the tune and see if all is ok.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^^^ what he said and to be sure you don't have blown head gaskets get a new coolant cap they are $5 at advance auto parts and you can do your own cooling system pressure test to either confirm or bust the head gasket idea.

DIY Cooling System Pressure Test Write-up.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok ill pick up a new cap. I had been filling it to the Max line. Then it would all dump out. One time after that I opened the cap. It vented like it was holding pressure. Then the coolant rose to the min line. Would I also see any oil in my coolant bottle or coolant in oil? If I dropped a lil bit of oil how could I test to see if coolant is in it. Thanks foe the help guys
Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You also mentioned something about turning on the heater?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Banned

Water (coolant) in the oil would cause it to turn to a milky color check this with the oil dipstick. If your oil cooler is cracked there is a strong possibility that oil will get into the cooling system (that is if it IS cracked and leaking) it happened to me. Ford released a TSB stating that the old minimum line is the new max fill line for your coolant. Read the write-up I posted a link to in my previous post and spend the $5 for a new coolant cap at advance auto parts and spend the $26 at TSC and build the pressure tester as I did and test it. If your pressure spikes rather quickly then your head gaskets are leaking and need replaced. If it just creeps up to pressure than you should be good to go. Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I bought all the fittings to test the pressure on the cooling system as well as the new updated cap. I put coolant in the Degas bottle and filled it just Bout 1/2" below the min line. Idled the truck. Drove it for 5 minutes. Parked it. Coolant level was the same. Depressurized the cap n removed it while truck was idling. And the coolant level rose to the min line. No coolant puked. Do.I need to run the truck harder and for longer period of time. Next step would be to test the pressure.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Banned

Do the pressure test. Hook it up and drive it down the road and find a good long steep hill if you can and floor it on the hill. Your looking to see if the gauge starts climbing fairly fast indicating combustion gasses are getting into the cooling system and pressurizing it. Then leave the system pressurized when you get home and shut the truck down. And let it sit for about an hour. Come back out and check the gauge again. It shouldn't drop than much and if it did you got a leak somewhere so start looking. If you don't then have someone stand by the exhaust and start the truck watch for white smoke exiting the tail pipe if it smells like coolant you have a blown egr cooler and if there is smoke and smells like fuel then you have an injector problem. If there is no smoke and the exhaust smells like diesel exhaust your good to go. Also when doing the pressure test you don't want to see pressures climbing to 16 psi if they stay under that number with no puking you should be good to go depending on how they climb when putting a big load on the engine.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hooked up the pressure tester first try was a fail I had a leak. Fixed it. Second run. No puking. Coolant stayed at relative same spot. Gauge climbed a bit fast probably bc truck was already warm. The needle stayeda bit under 20. I would say 17.5.. then when I let off pedal n idled at a light. It dropped a tiny bit. Then I parked it and it stayed at about 16. Now I will go check in a hour.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned

thats what mine did too but if it leaks down just sitting and you can't find any external leaks I'd guess HG's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.