Help!!! NO OIL PRESSURE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 05:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help!!! NO OIL PRESSURE

Ok, gonna be a long read but I’m really in a pinch so thanks in advance for my rambling.

So I’m towing my 46' goose neck loaded down with 2 cars (24,140 GCW). Nothing my 05 6.0 hasn’t done before and boom... No oil pressure.

I was rolling along at highway speeds and noticed a little more black smoke then normal (which still wasn’t alot) maybe cause I was pushing her a little harder then normal (normal being 1/2 throttle while towing with a Predator towing tune, I had her at around 3/4 today just to see what she could do). Approaching a toll plaza I started to decelerate, engine braking kicked in (like normal) eventually slowing to around 15 mph. The gate in the ez-pass lane didn’t open till the last second, so thinking i was going to crash through the gate I slammed on the brakes. Just as I hit the brakes the gate came up, (mind you this happened in like, half a second), let off the brake, give her some fuel and nothing. She was dead. Turned over just fine but that was it. Had to get her towed to a shop that doesn’t open until Monday, AND I HAVE TWO $130,000 Maserati's that need delivered on Monday stuck in my trailer. (And my dumbass GARUNTEED delivery)

So here’s some info I know you guys are gonna ask for

Trouble codes P2290 and P2291.

Noticed no gauge reading (Oil Pressure) on the dash while cranking. No engine light and everthing SEEMS to be normal. No VISIBLE oil leaks.

Engine Mods, 4'' strait pipe exhaust, Powermax turbo, Predator towing tune

Recent Maintenance, Coolant flush 8000 miles ago. One oil change 5500 miles ago and my most recent one about 700 miles ago. Turbo was installed in Feb. as was an exhaust pressure sensor, MAP sensor, along with all new filters roughly 12,000 miles ago. (Fuel/air filters and another oil change) I’ve always used Lucas 15 40 truck oil since I owned the truck (2 yrs.) and changed the oil every 4-6000 miles. Starting 2 oil changes ago I switched to Mobile One (El Cheapo Wal-Mart Stuff) 15 40 truck oil. I really don’t think that has anything to do with it but I figured I put it out there. And yes, all the filters are genuine Motorcraft Filters

Things I tried on the side of the road. Let oil/engine cool (thicken oil) and tried to start. Removed and visually inspected the sensor that’s on the passenger side valve cover towards the front of the motor (can’t remember what it was but previous searching on the site led me to do that) didn’t see anything. Checked my fuses, reprogramed to the stock tune., cleared the fault codes disconnected the batteries for about 10 minutes (worth a shot LOL), tapped on the timing cover with a wrench (thinking possibly a stuck oil pressure regulator or something), threw wrench, lol , called tow TRUCKS (emphasis on the "S") and $400 later (emphasis on the "dollars" for 16 miles) I’m at a hotel ($125 a night) and my truck and trailer are locked up at a shop that doesn’t open until Monday. So im into this repair $650 and havent even had the truck looked at yet! Oh dont for get the $25 dollar a day "Storage Fee" per Vehicle. I swear. Get ya comin and goin.

If i wasn’t an honest man i would be driving a Maserati Grand Turismo around cause YES… It has tags on it. LOL.

And to the ******* in the civic who was laying on the horn (like I meant to just stop and block a lane in the toll plaza) I’m still giving you the finger, and you’re lucky that water bottle missed you!

So… Any ideas? Please help.

And thanks for reading my life story, lol!

Last edited by ToLows10; 07-28-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cool story, I'm thinking stc during took a dump. Not sure if that causes lpop loss? what monitor do you have? Others will chime in.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Even if it was a high pressure leak you should still have a low pressure reading on the instrument cluster. If you have no base oil pressure I'd start first by looking at the oil pressure regulator for something being stuck in it.

If you do have base oil pressure then it's likely you've developed a leak. The STC fitting on the back of the high pressure pump is a common cause but leaks can develop anywhere
Old 07-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

STC fitting 2005 just like mine has the old type that will blow off or pop off whatever,the new type bolts on I beleive, keeps that from happening ,I put the new type in mine when I did the EGR delete, and changed out the oil cooler.
JER-1
Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 PM

What does STC stand for???
Old 07-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToLows10 View Post
What does STC stand for???
snap to connect. Inferior part installed on the hpop.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Oh gotcha. im assuming its somthing like a fuel line connection. (ya know... those junk plastic fittings)

Im also hoping this is a reliable shop ive takin my truck to. As why im trying to gain as much know how as possible. I do all my own work on all my vehicals so this is literally the first time ive ever taken anything to a shop.

Last edited by ToLows10; 07-28-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM

So how hard is this fitting to replace? Assuming its like everything else on my beloved 6.0L ists burried under the turbo or the fan shroud has to be removed???
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToLows10 View Post
Oh gotcha. im assuming its somthing like a fuel line connection. (ya know... those junk plastic fittings)

Im also hoping this is a reliable shop ive takin my truck to. As why im trying to gain as much know who as possible. I do all my own work on all my vehicals so this is literally the first time ive ever taken anything to a shop.
It is literally a "snap to connect" like quick connect, it sees up to 3k psi. There is an updated stc fitting. But like 6.0 said, you should still see lpop pressure. You need a monitor bud. There is a procedure for leak checking the hpop system, you are in a bind, most "mechanics" don't have a clue when it comes to the 6.0.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-28-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
There is a procedure for leak checking the hpop system, you are in a bind, most "mechanics" don't have a clue when it comes to the 6.0.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Thats what im afraid of. I Probably know more about the 6.0 then the ''Tech" that will be working on it (and i dont know crap). Im gonna go in there talking about a low pressure oil system and there gonnna think, ''Oh... if your so smart, you fix it" and im gonna say, '' I would have but i was in the middle of a toll plaza with a set of vice grips and a pair of needle nose pliers". And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night LMAO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.