NO start after oil cooler rebuild - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down NO start after oil cooler rebuild

2004 6.0 Truck was running fine except for high oil temps. After replacing the oil cooler truck just cranks and cranks, I searched the forums and read priming the oil filter housing would help. I've dumped at least a gallon in the oil filter housing waiting for it to stop draining and fill up so I would know it was primed. I'm stumped and pissed off, thinking about just burning it to the ground. any suggestions? NO codes showing up except the usual egr deleted items. I feel like I've cranked sufficient amount of time to purge the air out, checked all connections, also everything had a place and no bolts left over, someone help before I go postal on my once loved and cherished 6.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is fuel getting to the fuel bowl? All the plugs plugged in? Any blown fuses? Double check these things first.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had just bought my 05 and after bullet proofing it for the life of me i couldnt get it started. turned out the truck had an aftermarket alarm that wouldnt let it start. I didnt even realize it had the alarm, but once i found it and took care of it, it fired right up. probably a long shot but I sure didnt expect the issue I ran into.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:29 PM

Yes fuel is going to the bowl, and Ive had the truck since 09, the only alarm thats on it is the one I put in there myself. Should I be checking the fuses in the cab or underneath the hood? All the fuses in the cab checked out good. Does anyone know how to check the relays? Saw a pcm relay, maybe that could be the culprit, btw ficm is a 57.5 volts.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How long have you cranked on it? Gotta get the air out, to get the injectors to start firing. Is it smoking?

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Cranked long enough to drain the batterys twice, then hooked my buddys duramax and cranked some more. No smoke out of the tailpipe, none, zero. Should there be? and whats the most amount of oil the cooler resevoir should hold? Seriously dumped at least a gallon down there, where does it all go? Im guessing Im way over max capacity for the engine oil now...
Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

It is absolutely necessary to have good batteries, you need a good charger on there while you are cranking. Plus you have a little air in the fuel system. 30 second cranking max, then let the starter cool for 1.5 minutes or so. You need to check the oil and drain some if necessary. What oil filters are you using?

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-27-2012, 09:13 PM

motorcraft oil and fuel filters, so you say 30 seconds crank time 1.5 wait time? For how long would you say? I feel like I cranked for a long time already and still nothing..
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Just depends man, let it charge overnight. It should start smokin eventually. Don't get aggravated, guys have burnt up starters being impatient. Not the first time i've seen a post like this. Recheck all connections in daylight.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

Are you able to read icp, that would help.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.