'04 Excursion has hard starts and low power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'04 Excursion has hard starts and low power

Truck is 2004 excursion with 134,xxx. I finished up a pretty complete top end rebuild on this truck last week. This included ARP studs, HGs, oil cooler, egr delete, injector test/clean (they all came out good), fuel filters, water pump, thermostat etc. I tested the FICM before I started any of the work and it tested good.

On the first few initial cold starts after the work was done It would crank for 5-10 seconds before starting. I attributed this to air in the HPOP/Fuel System after letting it warm to operating temp inside the shop, It would start much quicker but still seamed to be a little rough immediately after start then smooth out a second or 2 later. I test drove it on the stock tune and everything seamed ok. I then loaded up the street SCT tune. Damn it was impressive! Then loaded in the power tune and again, WOW! So at this point I figure its all good and the truck is fixed.

My Biz partner drove the truck for the weekend and on mon I went on an errand and noticed it seamed to be down on power. I mentioned it to my partner and said I'm crazy. Ok whatever...

This morning I came in and he says , "the truck is ****ed up". Great... Apparently he couldn't go over 50 on a slight uphill on the way to the shop this morning.

Keep in mind that this whole time it always seems a little funny immediately after start up. Just slightly rough then smooths out and all good.

Checked for codes, and checked boost with sct. Im getting 29psi under WOT and no codes. Then I loaded in the stock tune to compare and it became a very hard start. after it starts it idles smooth.

I rechecked FICM and it is still 48v all the time. I'm a little scared that this may be a HPO system leak, I dont want to tear this thing apart again!

What do you guys think? What other components can I test?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh yeah, I'm getting a fair amount of black smoke revving in park. More than I noticed when it was running good. Black soot is a rich condition on a diesel correct?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone? Anyone? I need your help!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just had the same problem with my f250..you could be getting excellent boost out of your turbo but where the hose comes off your turbo to the intercooler could be cracked or split and you could be losing all your boost..real common problem..it won't throw any codes because your producing good boost but the boost just isn't making it to the manifold therefor causing it to lose a lot of power
Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cool thanks! I'll check that. I just picked up a fitting to hook up my fuel pressure gauge, i['m going to check that as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

do you have access to datalogging capability?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So here is the latest.

I got my fuel pressure gauge hooked up and found the needle would fluctuate kind of randomly. It eventually level out over 60 psi. I pulled the regulator I justinstall and found that the plastic black adaptor was sitting a little crooked when I tightened it and got a little smashed. I ordered a new kit and installed it.

Same problem as before. needle bounces then sits at 60ish and eventually drops to the point that I don't want to run the motor fearing damaged injectors.

At this point I pulled the secondary fuel filter to see how much fuel I'm getting...none.

Pulled the fuel pump outlet line and ran it to a bucket, nothing. No noise or vibration coming from the pump at all.

Checked for power to the pump, found 12v. Checked ground, OK.

Connected the pump directly to a 12v power source, got nothing.

Seems like the pump is bad, but I dont want to throw parts at the problem.

Can I feel confident in replacing the pump? It should turn on with 12v going in right?

HELP!! I'm so sick of this thing.....

Last edited by VSAMotorsports; 08-01-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok so of course, I pushed the thing out of the shop to deal with another day and the pump starts running again. I have the feed line disconnected and it started pissing on the floor. Where should I test the pump wiring electrically beside directly at the connector?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah... not much response so far but i'm gonna try again. All your help is GREATLY appreciated! This is the tow rig for my biz and its been a money pit and a pain in the *** so far...

Replaced the fuel pump, now FP is good at all times.

Power under light to med throttle is ok not great. Top end falls on its face. Thin but noticeable black smoke from exhaust all the way through the RPM's under WOT.

I replaced the EBP today and also hooked up a scangauge ii. Come to figure out my truck has a strategy that doesnt use EBP sensor. I cant get it to read on the SG at least. Any tips?

Boost is around 26 wot. I did a VGT relearn just for ****s. No good still.

What else can I look at on the scan gauge that might give me a hint?

I'm at an impasse guys, I dont know where to head with this now

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does your scan tool read ICP? I just lost my HPOP and things went from bad to worse very quickly for me. As the HPOP was going bad the truck ran better at 1/4 throttle than full throttle, and would shake at full throttle. That didn't last long as it failed a few miles later (thankfully right in front of my house). Not saying that's what I think is going on with yours, but that is how my HPOP failure felt. Oh, it was then a no-start hot or cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.