Intermittent Misfire\Bucking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent Misfire\Bucking

I have a 2003 6.0 F-350. The engine has roughly 120,000 miles on it. Of course with that many miles on the factory components which have 196,000 on them, it's going to have some issues. The HPOP, IPR and ICP was all replaced around 20,000 miles ago. Given that those are good parts, I don't believe they are my issue.

The truck starts fine in the morning when the engine is cold, but when warm is walks up to idle. After walking up to idle for the past few weeks, the truck would stumble, catch itself and rev back up, all fluctuating from 590-760 RPM. It would do this until I started driving it. Later on that same day, the truck started sputtering, missing, bucking, and I noticed a bog-down-type lack of power. The idle was very shaky, and the throttle was haywire. The slightest touch of the pedal would have that thing from idle to about 1100, and if held there, it would eventually drop down, while my foot is in the same position. While at idle, if slowly letting off of the brake, the truck would "shiver" and inch forward, not the normal smooth-moving it normally would. There is also a lack of power and a major increase in turbo lag along with this. This problem used to be intermittent, but now is getting more frequent. I run 5w-40 T6 up here in IL. I run Diesel Kleen in every tank, and the fuel filters were just changed. Oil only has 1100 miles on it. Ficm while truck is running good is at 48-47.5 volts from idle to WOT. IPR and ICP pressures are in the clear (don't remember exact numbers). Keep in mind that the truck was running good when I got these numbers (of course it doesn't act up with the scanner on it). However, at idle the batterys were getting 13.4V and 13.9V. The FICM input voltage was 13.1 I believe, which seems pretty low. Sorry for the long post, this thing is just driving me crazy.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
sounds like your due for injectors. After talking with Jesse Warren from Warren diesel he explained to me that all 6.0 injectors usually last 100k then start going bad. Give him a call and talk to him for $500 you send your injectors to him and he rebuilds them from 135cc to 155cc and you get basically brand new injectors back. You cant even buy remanned injectors (whole set) for $500. It is a great deal and they are great to deal with.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Tuscany! New to the forum and very satisfied with a quick response.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have any codes, do you have the blue spring update, motorcraft filters, it would be worth your time to check fuel pressure.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Banned

^^ what he said check the simple stuff before ripping the top of the engine down to get at the injectors. But I still think they are your problem. And give your batteries a good charge and test them too just to rule them out.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck finally threw a code tonight which I was able to pick up with the SCT. P2287, I'm thinking it's the ICP, I will also be replacing the pigtail as well. Any recommendations on where I should buy these from? Thanks so much for the information, you guys are like a family.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

However, Yes I have the P2287 Code, but I will be getting a Snap-on Modis tomorrow night to verify that the ICP is the problem. Hopefully I will have time to post some data as well tomorrow evening. Thanks again
Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Banned

You know I didn't even notice that the truck was an 03 the icp sensors were a plague in that year truck. Is it located under the turbo or on the front of the passenger side valve cover?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unfortunately under the turbo, I've read about going underneath the truck and accessing it from there, I'll give that a shot!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Banned

Its most likely your problem here. Not the injectors but I would rule it out first before moving on to the injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.