headgasket related to deltas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
headgasket related to deltas?

Took my truck to ford last week for some warranty work. I thought my oil cooler was for sure shot, as i have seen deltas as high as 30 degrees. i figured egr was shot because of puking coolant, and probably headgaskets because of overheating. Just got a call from service dept. telling me I need 2 new batteries (they were fine when i dropped the truck off), but that's unrelated. While on the phone i asked for an update on my truck since i hadn't heard from them at all. I was told they replaced head gaskets, but everything else is fine, oil cooler and egr etc., only other thing is they are gonna flush the cooling system. Now i am far from being a mechanic, but from research i've done on the org i was thinking the oil cooler was the culprit of the high deltas, and that was the start of the chain reaction that leads to the headgaskets? And the headgaskets are the cause of the overheating? Am i getting screwed or do i just not know what i'm talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

You're probably getting screwed ...and when they flush your coolant they will probably clog the oil cooler if it isn't already clogged ... jmo ...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Oil cooler and egr have got to be bad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If your deltas were over 15* apart then your oil cooler IS clogged and NEEDS to be replaced!!!

Also, the reason you blew the gaskets is the oil cooler stopped coolant flow to the EGR cooler and the Egr cooler flash boiled and ruptured and sent coolant into you cylinders causing the heads to rise...

They NEED to replace the oil cooler and Egr cooler!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:08 AM

thanks for the replies guys. how do i get them to fix it right when they say there is nothing wrong? i have i never dealt with warranty stuff before and they fought with me for a couple of weeks before they would even honor the warranty. i am ready to have my truck back, but i want it to be fixed to right
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Despite my best arguments, the dealer wouldn't replace my oil cooler. I finally got them to agree to install a "black box recorder" on the truck and I would push the button when it was having the issue (in my case, that was a strong coolant odor through the AC vents while towing, which was an indicator in the three prior EGR cooler failures that they were blown.) They FINALLY got enough information to allow them to replace the oil cooler and EGR cooler under warranty.

See if they can get one of those recorders that plugs into your OBD-II port.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Despite my best arguments, the dealer wouldn't replace my oil cooler. I finally got them to agree to install a "black box recorder" on the truck and I would push the button when it was having the issue (in my case, that was a strong coolant odor through the AC vents while towing, which was an indicator in the three prior EGR cooler failures that they were blown.) They FINALLY got enough information to allow them to replace the oil cooler and EGR cooler under warranty.

See if they can get one of those recorders that plugs into your OBD-II port.
i have never heard of that but i like the idea (if it will prove to them that somethings wrong), i will see if i can get them to put one in for me, thanks for the advice.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

I know this sounds crazy(sarcasim intended) but what about a test drive...
I think that would answer their questions about the oil cooler. If they would just go test drive the freikin truck they would find the spread...

The work that goes on in these dealers is VERY frusterating!! They couldnt care less about actually fixing the truck. Especially after a major job like head gaskets there should be an extensive test drive after the repair to make sure all is well.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thats so stupid of them

It's like they don't think a step in advance AT ALL!!! If they put it all together and realize that the oil cooler is bad, they have to tear back into it ALL OVER AGAIN... While they could have just changed a $250 part while they were in there already
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.