Puking out Degas bottle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puking out Degas bottle

Here's the scoop
>2005 6.0
>76xxx miles
>Studded (only six studs guy before me half assed it)
>EGR delete
>Sct Tuned
>4inch Straight pipe
Keeps puking out the tank when it gets hot, I know this is a possible and most likely head gasket, but could it be any other thing? Money is tight unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Unfortunately for you it's 99% head gaskets. Don't feel bad I was laid off in feb and can't do anything. But collect unemployment and wait til someone wants to hire me and my trucks sitting in the drive way and has been for the last 3 months with blown head gaskets.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That's what I was thinking, but another question, I heard the black Onyx gaskets were suppose to be "the best" but research says they aren't as good as they say... What is "The best" gasket?
Old 07-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Unless your ready to drop about 3-4 g's fire ringing your heads the only gaskets to use are OEM head gaskets.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I also heard about machining your heads, just stick with me here because I'm still learning and looking forward to being a diesel tech in the near future, the heads are factory warped and you can send them in to be machined flat?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yes, anytime you pull the heads it is recommended to have them machined for that reason. Also the Black Onyx head gaskets are pretty crappy, it is usually recommended that you just put Ford OEM gaskets on, plus they have perfect fit, ive also heard Black Onyx dont have the "exact" fit. just my .02! Hope this helps Reezy71x, good luck on becoming that mechanic, theres alot to learn!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

You can only machine these heads I think no more than .005 or .05 one of the two. then they are out of spec and the valves will hit the pistons. if they have already been decked and turn out to be warped than its most likely gonna need replaced with new heads or used heads that are in spec and can be machined within tolerance. But when you rip it apart make sure the heads Goto a reputable machine shop, have them hot tanked, magnafluxed, pressure tested, and decked to within spec if they are not completely flat.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Okay, one of the guys i use to work at the dealership with, now at a mulch and rock place, opened his own diesel shop and he specializes in diesels. I get to work with him with the repair, but i've heard that you can fire ring them?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned

Don't worry about fire ringing your heads unless you have boat loads of money for head work and supporting mods. You don't need fire rung heads unless you are running huge injectors with insane amounts of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.