High pressure in degas bottle. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
High pressure in degas bottle.

Truck is 2005 6.0 with 200,000 miles. It has very high pressure from the degas bottle upon startup. So much so that if I cover bottle it pukes immediately. Today the degas bottle was empty so I filled it without the truck running and when I went to start it was hydrolocked. Got it free and filled back up while running. Never could put the cap back on the bottle due to it puking. Truck ran for 45 minutes to an hour until it seemed to puke enough water to be empty and then began to overheat so I shut it down. I don't know much about these trucks but I bought it from the guy for $3000 and looking to fix it. What should I start with. I've searched the forum but couldn't locate anything that met my situation exactly. Just looking to make it reliable to pull a 5th wheel with the family. I am a decent vehicle mechanic on gas vehicles but this is my first diesel. I thought it was a good deal that I could fix for a reasonable amount of money and time. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Without any gauges I would have to say that it sounds like your head gaskets are gone. I would get some ARP studs, Ford headgaskets, and an EGR delete. That would be the first few things. While you are in there go on and rebuild oil cooler. Oh yea and get some gauges, edge insight ct or cts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Make sure that when whoever gets the heads off, you go get them and take them to a reputable machine shop and have them milled ABSOLUTELY flat. The most that you can take off of them is 0.08 I believe, any more than that and you will need new heads.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Been reading on other forums and sounds like I shouldn't waste money at the machine shop and just buy a set of new or reman heads because all of them seem to be cracked.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM

Mine where not cracked but they where no where near as bad as yours. I would have them magnafluxed and checked for how much would have to be milled before I bought new heads. Using your heads you're already looking at $5k+

Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the quick reply I'll start getting my list together and the start ordering parts.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 PM

Also might want to take care of the STC fitting and dummy plugs while in there also.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Don't let everyone scare you about the cracked heads. One of my good friends is a Ford Senior Master Diesel Tech and he rips these things apart all day everyday even when he gets home from work he has about 10 of them in his driveway from customers that don't want to pay dealer rates and he said out of the 100's of heads he's ripped off only about 1 in 15 - 20 end up being cracked and need replaced. Get them off the truck first and to the machine shoe and find out where you stand its alot better than spending $1400+ for each head new or remanufactured from ford.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Premium Member

Don't put anything other than OEM head gaskets in.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 07-20-2012, 08:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'll back up what Tuscany is saying, we don't see too many cracked heads but it does happen. I want to warn you...Do not start the truck until things are fixed or you could destroying your entire engine. I'd do an EGR Delete while you are fixing it.
Figure out your costs of Machine shop, ARP Head Studs, Gaskets, assembly and compare it with my prices to see which way is your best option. Asheville Engine Rebuilders - Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.