Electrolysis? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electrolysis?

Here's the story. At 115000 miles I had a headgasket leaking under hard boost pushing water out the degas bottle. Did some research and found that I had the same problem that everyone else with a 6.0 will have if not already had.Took it in and had head gaskets, head studs, bullet proof egr cooler, and a updated ford oil cooler. While they where in there I had them put a water pump in it to. 5123 miles later I pull into my driveway and have oil running out of my degas bottle.
Here's where it gets kinda funny, take it in and the shop checks it out and says that I have a electrolysis problem and that it was eating away at the oil cooler and timming cover. thats what pluged up the oil cooler and caused it to fail. Question is why didnt it show signs of anything being eaten away in the first 115000 miles when they put in a water pump and why did it make the cooler fail in just 5000 miles? Can someone with a greater knowledge of electrolysis please explain this in layman terms .
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you don't have a monitor, thats why you didn't see your oil cooler clogging. What type of coolant are you using? This is typically a problem associated with boats in salt water.

Sent from my SCH-I500

Last edited by southend; 07-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Running the green antifreeze and the ford aditive. No moniter. Cant figure out what the best programer is. Just got a FICM with the 40PHP from ficmrepair.com and the day before the ficm got here truck blew up. Anybody have any good insight as to witch programer-moniter combo works the best. I do tow alot and I guess I should start watching the temps.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatm38 View Post
Running the green antifreeze and the ford aditive. No moniter. Cant figure out what the best programer is. Just got a FICM with the 40PHP from ficmrepair.com and the day before the ficm got here truck blew up. Anybody have any good insight as to witch programer-moniter combo works the best. I do tow alot and I guess I should start watching the temps.
Thanks for any advice.
Green coolant is a huge no-no, (head shaking) i'm at a loss as where to start. and if your "mechanic" didn't warn you about this before, I wouldnt refer to him as a mechanic again. At least not a 6.0 diesel mechanic. I would suggest reading the stickies. Start here.

Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok ,after reading 90% of that post I really need a moniter. I've prety much made up my mind to go with a CST, but the SCT keeps jumping out at me. What to do.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatm38 View Post
Ok ,after reading 90% of that post I really need a moniter. I've prety much made up my mind to go with a CST, but the SCT keeps jumping out at me. What to do.
Read this, most especially the part about coolant related failures......
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
I know nothing about the sct, I just have the edge cts. There is a sticky on the sct also.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Green Coolant made your parts fail! Causes cavitation! Also make sure what you are seeing is oil and not Trans Fluid!

I had my trans cooler inside my radiator bust and it filled my system with trans fluid!

YOU NEED TO FIND A REAL 6.0 MECHANIC!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Electrolysis is caused by stray electrical current, AC is much worse than DC. Porosity is caused by cavitation. It's easy for them to be misdiagnosed, especially when you add in crevice corrosion. Do you have any pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.