6.0 Studders, bucks at cruise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 04:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Studders, bucks at cruise

Hi Everyone, I'm really needing some good advice. Once the truck is warmed up it misses a few times a minute at idle. Accelerates fine, especially under WOT, but once I'm up to 50-60mph and the TC is locked it bucks under load, especially uphill between 5-10psi of boost. It feels alright down hill or under more boost, at 20psi it feels great. It's to the point that it isn't really driveable.

I dropped the tank and cleaned it out, blew out all the fuel lines on both sides of the HFCM, replaced the fuel pump, both fuel filters, cleaned out the fuel pressure regulator and added the BB, 62psi at idle, holds steady unless I really drag race it and it might get down to 30psi around 70mph. Starts stronger, but still bucks. Truck has Edge programmer and EGR delete and recently had the batteries tested. Alternator is on order from DB Electrical because voltage is 13.4-13.8 and doesn't ever break 13.9 once it's warmed up. FICM reads 47.5-48.5v, ICP seems fine but I'm not sure what it should read at cruise. Added 2 bottles of RevX about 50mi ago. Oh, and no codes.

More history - most recently I got some bad fuel because I didn't realize the fuel station had a flood and let water into the tanks. Went through a few fuel filters before I figured out it was the fuel station. Maybe the lack of fuel pressure through all that (I think the waterlogged filters took out the old pump) damaged a couple injectors?

So, some questions... Could an alternator issue effect injector performance in the manner I've suggested? Is there a way to check injector contribution without sending the injectors out to be tested? Would of those fancy code readers tell me which cylinder is having the issue?

Last thing I want to mention... In October a lifter failed and I replaced all 16. The cam lobes were within spec and I smoothed out the lobe before putting everything back together, it was the exhause lobe #7 or 8. I really hope this has nothing to do with the camshaft, but I really don't see how it could.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
May I suggest you read the stickies, most of your issues look like total lack of monitoring and research. BB mod?......these aren't 7.3's.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 AM

I don't think there's much more to monitor. From what I've read it sounds like I could have a stiction problem, but I've only read that that's associated with cold and it's the middle of summer. Yeah, a BB mod... lots of 6.0s have them. It's all over the board, I learned about it during the many hours I spent here before making this post.

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 AM

My 06 use to do the exact same thing. I never found out what it was but it stopped doing it after I did, Head gaskets, studs, oil cooler, egr delete, & upgraded blue spring mod. So if I was to guess I think it was something to do with my egr valve or weak fuel pressure. All I know is it doesn't do it anymore.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:56 AM

I did some more research, the last time I changed the filters they each has a fair amount of black spots on them, I thought it was because of bad fuel but it sounds like I may have some bad injector o-rings. This will be my next step!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.