EGR Valve problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Valve problems

07 F-250 stock EGR Cooler/oil cooler. Very laggy from a stop and was blowing a lot of black smoke. Threw some codes p0404 and p1335 and p1000 for the egr valve. Took it out and cleaned it (it was stuck wide open with balls of carbon built up) Replaced, deleted codes was fine for about 1k miles. Started getting laggy again and was blowing white smoke along with the black smoke. I am not losing coolant and the egr valve and manifold it sits in are not wet at all. Finally got to the point it was missing and turbo wasn't spooling until I got to around 25 mph. Had the truck flatbedded to Ford dealer and had them check injectors this time but it turned out the egr valve was again very dirty. I put a new valve in and truck was running awesome again. 700 miles down the road the day after I put the new valve in and it is throwing the egr codes again. Truck ran fine until the very end of my trip. Let it idle for about 30 seconds to cool down and shut it off. Went back out 10 mins later and truck was billowing white smoke for about 10 seconds then cleared up. Codes were no longer present. I'm stumped....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A lot of black smoke usually is a turbo going south.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Very well could be the turbo is going south. But will the turbo cause me to clog egr valves so quickly?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Premium Member

Need to pull the intake and clean. The carbon buildup is most likely what is causing your egr vakve problem. There really isnt an easy way to get the intake clean unless you remove it.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Update: Pulled egr valve again today to clean it, and it was damp. Intake also was very damp. Still have not lost one ounce of coolant, but it's damp. My deltas are still hover around 9-10. Guess it's rent-a-car time and an excuse to do studs and BPD egr cooler. Wish me luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Will the carbon look and act like grease when the cooler leaks? i cleaned inside the intake as much as possible and only a little bit of what looks to be grease is down in there. It's like the dealer who put the new egr valve in put way to much grease on the o-rings and it's all around the egr valve port. Otherwise the inside of the intake is pretty clean.

Edit: Nevermind, let it sit for a while facing down hill and she is pretty wet

Last edited by JayJay99; 07-18-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.