Truck Died On Me - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Truck Died On Me

I went out this morning to go fill up the tank and was driving at about 35mph I went WOT to change lanes and the truck took off like it should, got up to about 55 and let off the throttle and the truck shut off. I coasted up to the stop light put the truck in park and tried to restart it. It cranks fine and sounds fine no smoke or anything unusual it just won't start. I scanned for codes and didn't get any and unfortunately I just sold my DashBoss and ScanguageII so I can't monitor anything at the moment. I have a Insight CTS coming in the mail on Tuesday so I will know more then. In the meantime I had the truck towed back to the school parking lot to work on it. (I'm up in college right now). I think it could be a FICM issue but I'm not sure. I noticed before I sold my gauges that my FICM voltage was a little on the low side sometimes but I never really monitored it that close. Also while cranking the oil pressure gauge on the dash does not move at all? Should it be moving while cranking.

I might also add that this same exact thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago same scenario but the truck restarted fine.

Give me some advice and I'll give you some more numbers once I get my CTS.

THANKS
-mike

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Trying to keep this at the top

Old 07-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should be getting a response on the dash oil guage. How did you scan for codes? May be stc fitting failure.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I agree with southend it sounds like the STC fitting took a crap on you. The CTS should be able to read ICP. If it's not building to 550 psi then you can pretty much assume STC failure or possible bad IPR valve.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im new no the diesel word and ive reading up on all the issues with the 6.0l before i pull the trigger in getting one. Sounds likea bad ficm or this

Old 07-14-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes33 View Post
Im new no the diesel word and ive reading up on all the issues with the 6.0l before i pull the trigger in getting one. Sounds likea bad ficm or this

6.0 no start lacks power stalls no codes set - YouTube
WOW! Thats a great video, thanks for posting it. I am for sure going to try that and see what happens. It would make my life so much easier if I had gauges right about now; just a word of advice to everyone: Don't ever sell your gauges until you get new ones because you never know when you might really need them.

As for buying a 6.0 you just have to be very careful. Make sure EVERYTHING checks out good before buying one. Read up on here about all the common problems and what to watch out for and you should be good to go. Also set up a little fund just in case something does break so your not screwed out of a truck while you save up to get it fixed and try to learn how to do as much work as you can yourself, it will save you BIG money in the end.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 AM

I had this happen to me on Friday. I bought my truck a month ago with 89,xxx miles on it. I have only put around 1500 miles on it and 2 weeks ago, someone rear ended me. I got that taken care of, and got the truck out of the shop on Wednesday. Friday, I had just picked my daughter up from daycare and was heading to the gas station to get some fuel and my truck just died. It cranks fine, but just won't start. I was going to order an Edge CTS, but got rear-ended and was going to just hold off until I got the truck back. I had the truck towed to a local shop and am waiting to receive word about it. I've also noticed that in the mornings when I'd crank my truck for the first time of the day, it was a really sluggish start. It would crank fine and start, but as soon as it started it would almost die, but then it'd kick in. Any suggestions as to what that might be? I'm thinking maybe fuel pump or filter?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDoubt View Post
I had this happen to me on Friday. I bought my truck a month ago with 89,xxx miles on it. I have only put around 1500 miles on it and 2 weeks ago, someone rear ended me. I got that taken care of, and got the truck out of the shop on Wednesday. Friday, I had just picked my daughter up from daycare and was heading to the gas station to get some fuel and my truck just died. It cranks fine, but just won't start. I was going to order an Edge CTS, but got rear-ended and was going to just hold off until I got the truck back. I had the truck towed to a local shop and am waiting to receive word about it. I've also noticed that in the mornings when I'd crank my truck for the first time of the day, it was a really sluggish start. It would crank fine and start, but as soon as it started it would almost die, but then it'd kick in. Any suggestions as to what that might be? I'm thinking maybe fuel pump or filter?
Let me know what the shop tells you! I'll be starting my diagnosis tomorrow when my CTS gets here. I'm suspecting either bad FICM or ICP sensor. Either way I don't think it's anything major.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

That sucks, I agree with you I don't think anything major ether, you knew you'd have a few bugs to work out on that sweet ride
Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 AM

I been having kind of the same problems with my 350-6.0-2005 put a new ICP still no star off to the shop it went this morning,waiting now to find out what they tell me about what the problem is.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.