Cooler or Gaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cooler or Gaskets

Ok so I'm loosing coolant and can smell it through my air vents when I raise the RPM's. No pooling under the truck, but there is sign of it coming out of the filler tank (chalky residue). My plans are to change out the oil cooler with a sinister and also do an EGR delete. What are the chances that I will also have a gasket problem? Am I heading down the right track for this problem, or do I need to do more? Also going to go ahead and modify the exhaust to MBRP 4" turbo-back, S&B intake and an H&S Mini Maxx. Am I spending all this money wisely??

Last edited by dhooper; 07-11-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Be a great time to do the hg's if your puking coolant you most likely have Blown hg's. Stud it with OEM gaskets and do all the updated parts replacements. Stand pipes dummy plugs blue spring kit 6.4 banjo bolts turbo oil drain and feed tubes ccv mod stc fitting etc. It'd be ashame to rip it down that far to do the oil cooler and not go a little bit further and swap studs and gaskets, then put it back together only to have to rip it down again only further this time to do it right. Jmo.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah thats what I was wondering, but don't you have to pull the motor to do the gaskets and studs?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Banned

No you don't even have to pull the cab. I'm getting ready to do mine here shortly just getting the rest of the money and parts together for the build. I'll be doing it in my driveway cab on. It will take some time to get it done so don't expect to have it done over a weekend unless you do this for a living. Lol plan on about 1-3 weeks to get it done depending on your schedule and how often you plan on working on it.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good deal, I'm going to talk to the mechanic about this. He drives a 6.0L and has already done all these modifications to his in the past. Thanks,
Old 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's pretty tough to properly torque head studs with the engine in the truck. I get calls from guys all the time who've put the ARP studs in thinking that they were doing some preventive repairs only to have a head gasket blow at some time afterward. Also, if you are putting ARP Studs in, make sure that you follow ARP's torquing procedure not Ford's.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleEngine.com View Post
It's pretty tough to properly torque head studs with the engine in the truck. I get calls from guys all the time who've put the ARP studs in thinking that they were doing some preventive repairs only to have a head gasket blow at some time afterward. Also, if you are putting ARP Studs in, make sure that you follow ARP's torquing procedure not Ford's.
its not difficult if you use the torque adapter tool made specifically for the 6.0l to get in the tough to reach spots. also the torque proceedure is the same as fords only difference is that you put studs in hand tight then use the fasteners and torque down 3 separate times 70, 140, and finally 210 ft pounds in the same torque sequence as ford says to torque the studs. pretty cut and dry its just a pain to pull and lower the heads by yourself is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.