Truck still won't start after studs and gaskets. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck still won't start after studs and gaskets.

I got my 2005 all put back together very carefully, filled her with oil and new filters and still no start. I can't pull any codes, I've got charged batteries and the FICM reads 48 while on and cranking. But it just cranks with no fire up. I hear all the buzzing when I turn the key and my fuel bowl is full. Any guesses? Maybe not getting oil pressure? How would I test for oil pressure. Never done it before. Big thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It takes a lot of cranking to build the oil pressure up. Make sure oil is full. Check all connections. Ficm, crank position sensor, cam position sensor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokethee06 View Post
It takes a lot of cranking to build the oil pressure up. Make sure oil is full. Check all connections. Ficm, crank position sensor, cam position sensor.

Hmm, well I checked my cam and crank position sensors and ficm looks hooked up and readin good voltage. About how much cranking is usually needed? I've been cranking til my batts go dead. Probably about 10 attempts now. Thanks for the help btw.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

keep trying. charge up the batts and keep giving her hell
Old 07-11-2012, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check your oil. Once you crank it the oil rails refill. If the oil level is low it wont build enough hpop. And it takes some cranking.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have scangauge that I use for hpop.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

I've been in the same position for a while now. It's frustrating. We should start a support group to talk about our problems and how to deal with this depression, because that is seriously all I feel right now.

I had mine all together about 6 different times now. First few times, I had somehow cracked the upper oil cooler assembly (the part that the oil filter mounts to) while torquing. Before I could get it torqued to the required 22 nm, it would pop, creating a hairline crack. I replaced the part with one from a junk yard, same deal, I purchased one from the dealer, and only torqued it to 15 nm (something someone suggested) it worked. When I had the cracked part on, it would spray oil out rapidly, but I was able to get it to fire for about 10 seconds before I realized the oil problem. Once I replaced that part and got everything put pack together, when I attempt to start the truck I get this pressure build up that releases quickly and loudly (almost ear piercing) at the rubber joint that joins the intake elbow to the boost tube off the intercooler.

I'm beyond frustrated. But I refuse to give up. I'll continue troubleshooting until I get my truck fired up and running.

I have an '05 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.0.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine took a good bit of cranking to get everything filled back up, probably 15 attempts. Got frustrated with it let it sit over night and the second time the next day it fired up. I wouldnt recommend this but i had a battery charger on each battery the next morning. Mainly b/c it would start to spit and sputter then the batteries would die. Watch your ICP pressure if you can, once it hits 500 psi it should attempt to start.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Same with me. Battery charger on and called it a night and got it the next day. Scangauge is less than $150 and it will read everything you need to troubleshoot except fuel pressure. It saves time and a headache.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Heck yeah, thanks strokethee06. I was about to call it quits when I charged the batts got up the next morning and on the 3rd 15 second crank attempt. Bam. Scared the Obama out of me. But it's running great now and looks to be a successful repair. In the middle of flushing the coolant now and keeping a very focused eye on all gauges. I did put a pin hole in one of coolant hoses by using a flat head screwdriver to push it down. 72 dollar mistake but I'm happy to be driving the truck again. Could not have done the studs and gaskets and oil cooler ect ect without the org.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.