Wiring harness/ficm issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wiring harness/ficm issues?

Looking for some ideas/advice
2004 6.0 with 195k miles, been running good until a short road trip when it started running a little rough. Turned it off for a couple minutes then restarted and it seemed to be fine. Two days later was idling at a red light when it suddenly began to run very rough with virtually no throttle response, just enough to coax it into a parking lot next to me. Turned it off, waited a few minutes and it started right back up but was still just bearly running.
Had it towed to my house where it sat till I had time to get to it. It would not restart after that, a few cyl would fire but not enough to start.

Scanned it with Auto Enginuity: P0281, P0284 cyl 7,8 injector circuit contribution/balance fault.
Installed fuel pressure gauge: 60psi during cranking. Was not sure so I checked the ficm voltage: 48.1V
Rescanned with CAN enabled(still figuring this thing out): P0265, P0268, P0274 injector circuit high for cyl 2, 3, 5. I have been using the Ford Repair Manual on cd 2004(ebay) plus doing a lot Internet research. I'm not a mechanic but not affraid to get my hands dirty.
So it said to check the harness side injector pins for shorts to ground, voltage, and between each of the four pins. Sure enough on cyl 2, 3, and 5 each #2 pin had 48V with KOEO (the cylinders with no codes had no voltage). Also noticed some chafing on the injector wiring harness in a few places, especially at injector 5.

Does anybody know why I would be seeing 48V at those pins? It is my understanding the the ficm does not energize the injectors until cranking. So do I have a bad ficm? Or is it in the wiring harness? Both? Or am I missing something here? Should I be checking something else?

Any advice/thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you have some chaffing on the wiring harness i would start to make sure you dont have any shorts then go from there with checking ficm by the way did you try a buzz test because that would check solenoids on injector keep us updated
Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I may need to update my AE. Have not seen an option for Injector Buzz test. There is a way to disable individual injectors but the engine would have to be running and it's a no start right now. If you or anybody else knows more about working with AE any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will do some more testing for shorts in the wiring harness in the morning.
Will keep you all posted,
Thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 11:31 AM

Can i ask where you found the chafing on number 5?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover747 View Post

Does anybody know why I would be seeing 48V at those pins? It is my understanding the the ficm does not energize the injectors until cranking.

Any advice/thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
My FICM main power shows 48-48.5 with my KOEO while I wait for the glow plugs to cycle. I would lean towards the harness. There are a few places under there that it can be compromised. Have you tried the harness wiggle test?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM

I did but ford broke one of the clips on the harness so its tough
Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Broke a clip where.....at the FICM? Are you certain that plug is fully seated? If they broke it, why didn't they fix it?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 PM

Well i did an injector on it #5. But still getting code p0275 so checking the harness now i found two spots with a bit of chafing but doesnt appear to be deep. Going to pull ficm and check the pins while im there.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I finally figured out my problem. The chafing on the injector wiring harness was from a coolent filter system I installed a couple years ago. It changed the way the heater core hose sat over the engine, that is what the initial problem was. Finally it shorted out my FICM right there at injector #5. Ended up sending the FICM to Ed at ficmrepair.com but he could not fix it because the logic board was fried so he hooked me up with another one and that did the trick. One zip tie would have prevented this whole mess. Live and learn I guess.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got a new harness before I swapped FICMs just to make sure I was not missing something in the harness that might have been damaged. It needed replacing anyway. That's when I knew it was the FICM also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.