04 6.0 Very hard to start after sitting over 3 hours - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Belt Fed

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6.0 Very hard to start after sitting over 3 hours

Truck has been running like a dream since I replaced all the injectors first week of march. Drove fine yesterday morning and came home around 11 and parked it. Had to run uptown at 2:30 and got in and cranked it over about 5 seconds and nothing. Turned it off and back on two more times for 5 seconds and on the third time it started up and it runs like a dream. Went where I needed to go and cut it off and was in the store for about 20 min and it started right up. Came home and parked it until last night about 6 hours later and it did the same thing.

Oil change is at 4700 miles and soon to be changed, current fuel filters are at 4700 miles as well. Batteries are new as of Feb.

I really have no clue where to start....Should I just start with a new filters and oil or am I totally off Q?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm guessing you dont have a monitor....(sigh)

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Belt Fed

No....(Sigh)

Its been on my buy list but every time I get the money saved up to buy one Life happens and money has to go elsewhere.

I do however have a bluetooth OBD reader and have "torque" app on my phone. Is there a particular guage I should be looking for that will help me diagnose.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dtc's will help.....ficm voltage, battery voltage, and read this.
Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
I know about the money thing, dont we all.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Belt Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
Dtc's will help.....ficm voltage, battery voltage, and read this.
Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
I know about the money thing, dont we all.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Ok...Hooked up my bluetooth reader and downloaded the powerstoke PID's from torque and Hooked everything up...The truck voltage was about 11.5 volts when I started it up and it stuggled to start for the first time today but did start on the first start. Dumb me after the fact monitored the FICM and it was steady at 48 and I turned it off again and when started the second time the voltage was about 13.5 and the FICM never dropped below 47.5 during starting.

I also ran codes and came up with two.

P0401 EGR insufficient flow detected

and P132B Unknown

I was told from the previous owner he did the EGR delete but I honestly have no clue how to tell.

I guess I need to see if I have a battery short somewhere and check my charging system. Dont really know what I need to do about the codes.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
11.5v is too low and I believe that is what is causing your hard starts. Load test your batteries at an Auto parts store to see if they are good!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

p132b is turbo boost control A performance. whatever that means, i have that code right now plus 10 more codes.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did a quick search and the P132B could be sticking turbo vanes. It was recommended to take apart the turbo and clean it.

If the egr is in fact deleted the P0401 is nothing worry about. As far as i know the only way to get rid of that is with a tuner.

Ill check my voltage in the morning when i fire up the truck but i agree with the other guys 11.5 is a tad low.

One other thing to check would be ICP pressure it could be bleeding down while it sits. Im not sure how accurate/quick the torque app updates since it is bluetooth but it should be above 500psi to start.

Edit: watched the voltage on my cts and it showed 11.5 key on engine off and dropped to 10.5 while cranking, it did fire right off though.

Last edited by 06DZL; 07-13-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.