Blowing Black Smoke!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blowing Black Smoke!!!

My 2005 F250 with 163,000 miles is blowing black smoke when I press the accelerator from a stop or if I slow and then need to get back on it. It also had no go power until after it blows smoke. Its acting like it is over fueling. I have an aftermarket Cold air intake, EGR Delete kit (so itís not the EGR Valve) and have had my FICM checked and it is working perfectly. I took it to a Diesel mechanic yesterday and he pulled it in to his computer and the only Codes it had been for the EGR. I have also taken off my Turbo and cleaned it and cleaned my EBP Sensor and the mechanic said it was working fine. Also said that my MAP sensor is working well within specs. Not sure what else I can do. I cannot afford to take it back had have them work on it.
Thanks for any help you all can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check the injectors. Had one go out and it blew enough black smoke that I could not see behind me. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If it's just a little bit of black smoke it's quite possibly just normal. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust on it? When accelerating from a stop you are running on just the motor until the turbo spools, which in turn causes a little bit of over fueling. Does it clear up once you hit boost? If so, i'd say run some rev-x just to be safe and keep an eye on it. It's probably normal. Now, if it's a lot of smoke, you have an injector issue.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have put in RevX during my last oil change, it depends on the time when it comes to the amount of smoke. If I have my 5th wheel on its a LOT of black smoke and take a few seconds before the turbo kicks in and then it clears up. I have a feeling that its a bad injectors, but I was hoping that its something easy to fix and cheaper!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sounds like its starving for air, if you got no codes it should be something simple,air,fuel, compression makes fire,good luck mate.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZPOWERSTROKE View Post
sounds like its starving for air, if you got no codes it should be something simple,air,fuel, compression makes fire,good luck mate.
Good point! Is it really humid where you are at?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have cleaned my Air Filter; I am going to get new fuel filters today to see if that helps. Has for humid, not at all I live in Colorado and it has been dry has can be here (lots of fires). Also clean my Mass Air Flow Sensor to see if that would help and nothing. I will let you know what I get after putting in new Fuel Filters, but my hopes are not very high. Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What are your boost and EGT numbers?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure what my EGT Numbers are, but I know I was getting good boost when I took it to the mechanic. When I punch it, it will blow LOTS of black smoke for a sec then take off like nothing is wrong. Its takes even longer when I have my 5th wheel hooked up. I thought my turbo was sticking so I pulled it and cleaned it with no change.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Did you check your ebp sensor and tube for carbon yet? You could have the tube restricted enough that it's holding pressure and thinks that the turbo is creating boost and fueling for it when in all reality there is no boost yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.