Consistent Miss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Consistent Miss

So my truck is at the mechanics right now. It has a constant/consistent miss. I have searched long and hard and have not found a similar problems (lots of threads on missing but not like mine)

The truck starts up just fine and seems to idle ok (it is missing but is not running super rough). There is a constant poof of black smoke coming out the exhaust when that cylinder hits. It does not change at all whether the vehicle is warm or cold. It drives fine on the freeway but puffs out black smoke every time that cylinder hits (that makes for a smokey ride). No lights or codes

They took out the injector and put new o-rings on it and that did not help.

I am not a diesel mechanic so I am sure they said a lot of things to me that I did not understand. I believe they switched out the injector for the one next to it and it did not change anything. The same cylinder was still missing... But lets assume that did not happen because I could be wrong. I am going to go down there in a couple of hours and talk about the different options and I want to go in a little more educated when we start making decisions.

any ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Premium Member

Could be ficm, even if it is showing 48v.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

would a ficm cause just one cylinder to miss like that? I will search really fast and learn everythign I can about the ficm... is there any other way to test the ficm if it is showing 48v?

Also does anyone have any explanation to me as to what is going on... what I mean by that is with the black smoke coming out consistantly does that mean it is getting no fuel, too much fuel, no compression, etc...

I am curisous as to not only what the problem is but what is going on inside the cylinder. I read lots of posts about puking black smoke or constant smoke, or even white/grey smoke but i don't see many threads about constant puffs of black smoke
Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Because you said they swapped the injector and the same was missing, that is why I think ficm. Not sure on the other checks, black smoke means overfueling.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

thanks for the replies...

bump for any other ideas before I head down there...

I am debating and being pressured at the same time to do the arp studs, egr delete, take the whole engine apart down the the last bit, clean and replace as needed and then put it back together...

but i wanna make sure that this will take car of my problems
Old 10-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ever find out what it was...mines kinda doing that, can't see smoke so much, only when it starts.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

I should have posted this up a long time ago but I guess it is better late than never

My consistent miss was caused by a hole in a valve, a melted piston, and scarred cylinder wall

Here are a couple pics

Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

I ended up getting another low mileage long block and starting from scratch. Built it with head studs, egr delete, new oil collar, cleaned the turbo, serviced all the injectors, lots of gaskets and seals, and stc high pressure oil fitting.

Wow it is like a whole new truck now!!! Don't wast your time and just get it done right!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hahaha, wow. Hope that's not my problem, how did it start? A bad injector can cause that, as well as just crzy excessive heat from a tuner or something...Cummins do it all the time. We've rebuilt em like that before. Pita.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.