6.0 EGR Delete or not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 EGR Delete or not

I have a 2003 with a round Garrett EGR cooler. The truck has oil in the antifreeze and no antifreeze in the oil. There is 125,000 miles on the truck. The EGR cooler is dry inside the gas side. I believe the oil cooler is the problem. From what I am to under stand is the exhaust will boil the coolant and leave deposits in the oil cooler causing it to fail.
Now for my question.
Using freeze plugs on the ends of the EGR cooler will this extend the life of the oil cooler? Any thoughts or experiences on this on this mod?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 04:22 PM
The Silent Service

Welcome to the ORG.

No need to delete the EGR cooler in your case. The '03 OEM units are the only year they were worth anything, and when you do this job you should replace it with another '03 style unit. Your other option is the unit from BPD.

Using freeze plugs would sort of block off the coolant flow, but would actually do more harm because you would still have the exhaust gases flowing through overheating the cooler. If you want to prevent this all together, go with the blocked cooler from BPD (or similar) or a full delete.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am looking to block off the exhaust flow in the EGR cooler not the coolant flow hoping to lower the coolant temperature going into the oil cooler.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
The Silent Service

If you simply block the exhaust flow, you won't have any issues. Sorry for the mis-understanding.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No problem, I was just reading "What's Wrong with the 6.0L Oil Cooler?" on Bullet-Proof Your 6.0L. They say that the oil cooler needs to be changed every 50K wow that's a short life. Is that a realistic expatiation?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:26 PM
The Silent Service

I don't follow any of Ford's recommended life cycles for Coolant, or the Oil Cooler. Remember that when Ford started using that coolant is was good for 105K.

Use the deltas from your monitor (a delta spread of 15* at 65mph, on a level grade) to determine the life of your oil cooler. Those with EGR deletes and blocks will of course see a longer life cycle on the cooler. I have 66K on my truck when the first EGR cooler blew (which is what spurred me to learn more about these trucks, looking back I could have easily prevented it).

How you replace/rebuild the oil cooler is critical for how long you get out of your next one will last. (My truck was done under warranty - before any modification was done - so I'm on OEM EGR and Oil coolers as well as coolant for the time being.) When this job is done you have three critical desisions to make:

1) Are you going to continue to use Ford Coolant - if not flush with Restore, Restore Plus, and Distilled water, and make the switch to a silicate-free (EC-1 Rated) ELC. This will sigificantly lengthen oil cooler life, by not having silicates gel up and clog the cooler (International uses a silicate-free coolant and has a lot less issues). This flush should be done prior to the oil cooler rebuild to avoid flushing contaminants into the new body.

2) Solution of the EGR cooler. Upgrade, block or delete, purely based on the owners plans. I'll be going with the BPD upgraded cooler.

3) Remain with the OEM liquid to liquid cooler, or make the investment to the aftermarket air-to-liquid cooler. Where the external oil cooler removes the issue entirely, it is not always the best solution if you use the truck to tow heavy.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok well I missed the the pre-tare-down flush maybe I can do a partial flush. Hmm I will need to work that one out. I did not know about silicate-free (EC-1 Rated) ELC coolant. I have a lot to learn about this truck I only had it for 25K miles and I don't know its history. But it was running great when I bought it. The truck gets 19mph on the highway when it is running good.
Along with the oil cooler problem the HPOP it only putting out 30-40psi so I am replacing that too.
Mostly I use the truck for pleasure with some heavy hulling its a F-350 Lariat Crew Cab long bead 4X4 (I love my truck). I do have a Bully-Dog for extra power.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Do yourself a favor and trash that bulldog before it trashes your 6.0 and get a sct tuner and have custom tunes written for your truck. Much better for it.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Why do you say that?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Do yourself a favor and trash that bulldog before it trashes your 6.0 and get a sct tuner and have custom tunes written for your truck. Much better for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsmart_86 View Post
Why do you say that?
Simple, transmission tuning.

The 5R110 has a transmission relearn program within the TCM. Most shift-on-the-fly tuners rely on that to tune the transmission (along with pressure inputs). This is simply the wrong way to tune. An SCT will fully tune the transmission during the flash process. Every time you shift power on a SOTF tuner, you force that transmission to relearn, and put additional wear to it.

When you take it out for the first time with any SCT tune, give it the chance to cycle through all the gears at a normal pace before beating on it and you will have zero transmission issues from tuning in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.