6.0L Crank no start when warm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L Crank no start when warm

I have an early (March) 2003 6.0L that won't start once its warm. I checked out the ICP sensor and harness (which were replaced 2 years ago) and they were soaked with oil. Unplugged the ICP, still no start. I threw some money at the problem and changed the IPR valve, still no start. I plan to change the ICP sensor since it's obviously leaking oil, but could that leak be sufficient enough to lose pressure to the point that I get a no start condition? Or should I plan on tearing something else apart?

Also, not pulling any codes. Runs great when if i start it when cold, getting plenty of fuel in the bowl, fuel filters are new, FICM is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Has it had updated stand pipes and dummy plugs? A bad o-ring on one of these can cause your problem.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was my understanding that the 2003's do not have dummy plugs. But I could be wrong. Haven't really looked.

Last edited by bjhogue67; 07-03-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

I know the 03s do have some "early engine only" parts. I was just throwing out some generic 6.0 info. Sorry.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

You obviously have a hpop leak imho, classic symtoms. You may need to do the hpop leak test. sorry i'm not sure how thats done, google it.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You definitely need to have a HPO system leak down test done. You have to get a fitting that will screw into the hole where the icp sensor goes and with the truck off you pump around 10-15 psi of compressed air into the HPO system and listen to where the leaks come from. It sounds primitive but its the only way to get all the leaks out.

Once you fix one leak put it all back together and test it again to find other leaks.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Edit; I had to do the same thing on mine and ended up having to replace my HPOP, IPR valve, Stand Pipes, STC Fitting, Dummy Plugs, Oil Fill tube, CCV, new intake gaskets, new oil cooler screen, thats all I can think of off the top of my head. What I'm trying to tell you is be prepared to spend some money. I had over $1000 in parts when I did mine. lol and that was just to get her running again. Now I'm getting ready to stud it and rip it all back down for a 3rd time.

Last edited by Tuscany; 07-05-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was afraid that's where i was headed. Thanks for the info. Any idea what size fitting i need to plug in to the hole for the ICP? And how to I get the IPR closed?

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by bjhogue67; 07-06-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.