Looking for diagnosing tips for no start situation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for diagnosing tips for no start situation

Suprise Suprise, less than a week after purchasing my first vehicle, which happens to be a 6.0, knowing ahead of time about the headache they can cause, I'm here asking for help!

I picked up a 2006 F-250 with 74K last Tuesday. Everything went perfectly during test drive, noticed a few things here and there cosmetically that would need help, and planned on doing the normal mods as I got the time and money....But FIRST I have to fix the problems!! This is now my daily driver and essential for my job so need to get something figured out soon!

Here's the story: Less than an hour after buying it I had new tires put on to replace the bologna skins it had. When it was done, the pickup wouldn't start! Talked to the shop foreman and he said it was hard to start after the change. Figured it was bad fuel, plugged filters. I tried about anything I could think of to get it started. Hoping the gauge was bad I added fuel, tiny sqirt of starting fluid verified it wanted to run but lacking fuel. Checked fuses and pushed fuel pump reset and it fired up. It had been roughly an hour of not starting before it went. No problems the rest of the day.

After putting about 600 miles on it after purchase, during my trip to town to pick up oil, filters (including fuel), and coolant flush materials, after dropping about $300 in parts and accessories I stopped for lunch and then again, crank but no start! This time I was in contact with a Ford Diesel Tech, I tried everything I had the first time, replaced my upper fuel filter since I had it and my tools with me. Also cracked the fuel input line and verified fuel was flowing that far. The tech told me to check the output from the filter housing. Cracked them loose, verified fuel was flowing out when pump was on, put them back together then PRESTO! Fired right up. I had tinkered with it for almost an hour again. That's when the researching began, I have read many threads on this, but it seems that the final solution never gets posted...or I'm just missing them.

Today after a long night of work I decided to run into town to treat myself to some breakfast. Let the ponies run on the way to town, went to restaurant to eat, then stopped by hardware store, dropped about $80 on a dremmel and other supplies for the ZooDad mod. Got back to the pickup and for a third time it wouldn't start. Now with my research I was starting to think the STC's were leaking, but the temp needle was barely above the C mark. Was looking up a couple threads on my phone to verify some of the trouble shooting procedures I had read, also I was going to crack the lines like I had last time. Given the last two experiences I was expecting an hour of downtime. Decided to try it one last time before tearing into it and it started right up. It's like every time I go somewhere to eat and/or spend money to help it out it doesn't start! On the way back to work I tried to duplicate the symptom before bed. Again I let the ponies run on the way back, parked it, turned it off, and left it set for an hour (all problems seem to be after it sits for 45 min-an hour after driving) During this time I reattaced the tailgate that decided to jump off within the last mile of my trip! and did the ZooDad mod. Anyhow, the time, engine temp and everything else seemed to be right where the problem exists, turned it over and it fired right up!

I want to get this figured out before I continue dropping money into it for the mods so I have a couple questions to help my troubleshooting process:

Obviously, Any Ideas??

Any tests I can do to test potential causes? I have pretty much a full set of tools from auto tech school (light duty) A multimeter, and a Harrison R&D scanner. Can I use the multimeter to test the FICM? If so, where do I hook up? How about the ICP and other sensors?

Any easyish way of testing/inspecting the STC? I'm not noticing any noticable oil leaks.

This morning was the coldest it ever was when I started it but still not that cold, but it ran kind of rough until about 93 degrees (Had Harrison R&D hooked up) Possible sign or simple stiction?

I have never worked on Diesel's before, but shouldn't there have been fuel with at least some pressure in the lines when I cracked them loose? Thinking that might be a sign of a leaky fuel system.

Thanks for the help! I am officially addicted to this site now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does that scanner show ficm voltage? You really need to be able to see that when it is acting up. You also may have a hpop leak when the truck is warm.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM

No it doesn't, I played around with it this morning before going to town and the FICM is not monitored with that scan tool, that's why I was wondering if there is a good place I could hook up my multimeter to check the voltage...

Yes the HPOP has been one of my concerns, hoping it's not it, but wouldn't suprise me. How does one check that?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

You can check it, just not running down the road. I have the edge cts, it will save you alot of headaches. Not sure on the hpop check procedure. You can google, alot of times it wil suggest these forums. Plus you can read the stickies.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Yea, looking into that now. As for the CTS, I am still trying to decide which route to go with that, but I will be getting one or something comparable ASAP but I work in the oil fields in ND and don't have access to any store that carries them, and only shipping address is home, 600 miles away, and not possitive the next time i'll be able to get there. Thinking of setting up a PO box in the closest town, but my luck I will be moved soon. Have spent all saved money buying this pickup and don't really want to dump more money in it until I figure out what's wrong and get it fixed...
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Yea, I hear ya, that monitor is worth its weight in gold. Dont get too frustrated.:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM

Ya like i said, I will be getting one ASAP! Thanks again for your help!!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 PM

Insight CTS ordered!
Used volt meter to test FICM:
48.6V KOEO
25.3 - 48V while cranking until started
48.6V Running
48.6V when Engine warm

The cranking volts have me scared a little but the guy I had crank it for me isn't a diesel guy and I forgot to warn him about glowplugs so that voltage would have been during the time the glowplugs were trying to work...

I decided to put things back together and go for a drive, shut the engine off while doing that and that is where my mistake was because it wouldn't start afterwards. I have never had a problem starting it within the first 45 minutes of running until now. And by that point I had had enough for the day so decided to go to bed. My CTS should be here in a couple days so I will be able to get a better idea then.

I will continue to try to check things out, but don't want to tear into it too much at the moment as I might need to use it in the next couple days. Once we start the next well (work on oil rigs) I will probably tear into it a little more knowing that I will have close to two weeks that I won't need it.

I might possibly take the valve covers off and take a peak since I have read stories of people finding leaking o-rings there. I don't want to tear it down to the HPOP just yet because (Correct me if I'm wrong) I have to take the turbo and intake out and might as well install an oil cooler and EGR delete while I'm in there.

Any more ideas on where to check are greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help!!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
The Silent Service

Your cranking voltage is very low, regardless of how its turned over.

Verify your battery voltage, if those are good there's a starting point for you, you need to do a rebuild or replacement of your FICM. You can confirm this with your Insight, but those numbers are solid indications.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Alright! That's what I was looking for, I will double check before I dump the money! I just wasn't possitive since it shows over 48 at all other stages. Thanks!

Just found out that the 'next day shipping' I paid for means my CTS will be sent out some time between today (ordered at 7 this morning) and the 6th, and THEN have to make the trip. great next day service NOT! And on top of that, once it is delivered, I still have to wait for the company I work for to have to send a shipment of supplies to my rig so it won't be here any time soon

A new FICM is something worth putting money into anyhow I think so given the stupid shipping situation I might just order one of them too!
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.