i clean the turbo,now no boost or overboost help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i clean the turbo,now no boost or overboost help

hi guys first i will start with what type of truck i have:

its a 2006 f350 4x4 dually king ranch with 156k miles
the truck has sct programmer with eco,tow,extreme,egr delete,oil cooler delete,head studs,k&n intake,5" straight exh, changed the diesel filters about 8k,oil change about 4k,
now for the problem about a week ago the turbo started to get stuck,either open or close(no boost or to much boost) i decide in take it off and clean it,and check any sensor that like to go bad like icp,ipr,ebp,map,ait, only the ait and the ebp where really dirty so i clean them and clean the ebp tube.

the turbo was really sooty but in real good shape(little to almost no pitting) i clean the turbo real good with a 1" scotch pad,lube averything and put it back together,(i did mark the turbo)i was watching a video in youtube where a guy took the oring in the back of the solenoid of the turbo and with a magnet he was moving the vanes in the turbo,but the vanes didnt move. so i took the clip of the back of the solenoid and clean eveything inside the solenoid ( i think i didnt put everything back the right way) anyways i put every thing back toghether, it started in the first try no leaks nothing bad,i get it out to text drive the truck and is boosting real quick and over boosting,with alot of turbo farts when i let go the pedal, i drove it today all day doing the same thing but i was no tring to go to hard so i wont brake anything, about 1 mile before i get to the shop and start check if a left some thing wrong the truck runs out of boost,no misses only black smoke but i get no boost, i pluged the scanner and do livedata to check for presures in the map,baro and ebp, this is what i get key on engine off baro 14.6 psi,map 14.6psi,ebp 37.9 psi,vret 5v,and this codes p0470,p0478,p1408,p0046,p0069 before i star taking everithing off the truck can some one help me dig. my truck? turbo solenoid bad? map bad?ebp?turbo?

sorry for the long post but i really need help ,thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

EBP, MAP and Baro should all read the same, roughly 14.6 psi. If your getting a EBP sensor reading of 37 with KOEO then you have an issue with the EBP sensor/circuit.

A biased/misreading EBP sensor will cause some very goofy boost issues. Investigate that first. Might try getting a new EBP sensor and plugging it in and seeing if that helps. I've also seen wiring issues in the EBP sensor connector. The coolant hose that sits over the sensor will sometimes rub thru the wires.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
EBP, MAP and Baro should all read the same, roughly 14.6 psi. If your getting a EBP sensor reading of 37 with KOEO then you have an issue with the EBP sensor/circuit.

A biased/misreading EBP sensor will cause some very goofy boost issues. Investigate that first. Might try getting a new EBP sensor and plugging it in and seeing if that helps. I've also seen wiring issues in the EBP sensor connector. The coolant hose that sits over the sensor will sometimes rub thru the wires.
i unplug the ebp sensor, the boost is back but is over boosting and im getting alot black smoke,is running ok but not alot of power, the programmer is set a extreme right now,sure i take it off? any other tests i can do to it?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM

po470 po478 both ebp codes both sensor related. p1408 egr semsor code.

The other 2 I have no listing for.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Put it back to stock for now, and fix the EBP sensor circuit. Something is not right there. The PCM uses the EBP sensor readings to control the VGT and the EGR valve. Unplugging it makes the PCM run on estimated values which is why it probably runs better but it's still not right. If unplugging it makes it run different then I'd bet on a biased/misreading EBP sensor.

Fix the EBP sensor and you should be fine. You need to get EBP readings the same as MAP and Baro during KOEO.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you sure you have all the connections lined up correctly and tight?

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
Are you sure you have all the connections lined up correctly and tight?

Sent from my SCH-I500
witch connections are talking about?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
Put it back to stock for now, and fix the EBP sensor circuit. Something is not right there. The PCM uses the EBP sensor readings to control the VGT and the EGR valve. Unplugging it makes the PCM run on estimated values which is why it probably runs better but it's still not right. If unplugging it makes it run different then I'd bet on a biased/misreading EBP sensor.

Fix the EBP sensor and you should be fine. You need to get EBP readings the same as MAP and Baro during KOEO.
i will get a sensor tomorrow and see what happends before i take the turbo out again.

i have a question if i took the thing that controls the vgt out to clean it and dint put it back together the right way? is there a special way to do this?not the solenoid the rod that moves the vains.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinezguad View Post
i will get a sensor tomorrow and see what happends before i take the turbo out again.

i have a question if i took the thing that controls the vgt out to clean it and dint put it back together the right way? is there a special way to do this?not the solenoid the rod that moves the vains.
i got a sensor at the dealr today for 94 dollars and i just install it in the truck,i took both batteries off and did a kam erase with the scanner and i put it back to stock, i when for a test drive i looks like evrything is running great i will keep you posted if anything changes. the reading in livedata was baro14.6,map14.6,epb 14.6.thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.