Truck sat for 16 days and now problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck sat for 16 days and now problems

So before I left for 16 days my fuel guage was acting up randomly reading different. Then I came back and wouldn't start I charged the battery and it started. Batteries tested fine and it's a fairly new alternator. It sat a night and then wouldn't start. Two weeks later jumping it or play roulette to see if it would start my batteries are bad now. I am getting two new batteries and alternator tomorrow but I'm worried my fuel control model is shot....or does anyone else think it could be something else with my fuel guage? I'm worried if it is the FCIM it will murder my new batteries..,

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 04:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Fuel level gauge is independent of your HFCM and FICM. If you're having a problem with it, the other two components shouldn't be affected. Make sure you get your new batteries load tested and your alternator tested before or right after the install. I bought a new alternator last week and it was bad right out of the box.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 AM

if it sat for 2 weeks, maybe it got a little stiff?, How much fuel is in the tank? I would Fill it up Fully and see what happens. as far as the batteries and ficm...Snake already said it. after installation i would have the ficm v tested as well.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes I already planned on going to test the FCIM once new batteries are in. I was also thinking it could be the sender unit all clogged or messed up

Old 06-27-2012, 09:30 AM

I had a no-start condition last year. If I wiggled (squished the wires inside the heat shields around) for the ICP sensor, the truck would start. I squished them around quite a bit and problem went away. I have since replaced the ICP pigtail and haven't had a no-start since. Something to try anyway.

Last edited by nylyon; 06-27-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 PM

Tank float switches are bad for sticking and corrosion build up interrupting current flow. No biggie I am more worried about the no start condition. I suggest reading the sticky on the 6.0ltr forum first post.

Asimple quick test is disconnect the icp and try to start the engine, if it starts and stays running, you have a bad ICP or pig tail. The disconnecting of the icp causes the PCM to use a default set of values to start the tuck on. Basically it lies to itself that you have over 500 psi High pressure oil and its ok to fire the injectors.

If the rest of the HP oil system is good the truck will stay running. If not further testing is required.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
A simple quick test is disconnect the icp and try to start the engine, if it starts and stays running, you have a bad ICP or pig tail.
Not sure these words belong in the same sentence, "quick", "simple", "ICP" and "2003" unless the word "not" is in there somewhere

I wonder if when I had my issue if unhooking the ICP would have done anything. My wiring pigtail was the culprit for the no-start. Can't hurt to do both, but I know in my case, getting to the ICP connector is a pain in the neck!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:50 PM

Ahhhh but then I am a bit of a saddist, every one should exsperience the joy of the 03 ICP and IPR issues and testing if only once in life. (Lage box of bandaids highly recomended)
Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
Ahhhh but then I am a bit of a saddist, every one should exsperience the joy of the 03 ICP and IPR issues and testing if only once in life. (Lage box of bandaids highly recomended)
Lots of Bandaids and bring your swear jar, You'll fill it up guaranteed!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So red tops are in and ficm tested fine and full tank with diesel kleen is in hopefully it's just that because I don't think it's the icp because it wouldnt mess up my fuel guage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.