Blown head gasket/egr cooler diagnosis help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blown head gasket/egr cooler diagnosis help!

Ok here it is. My truck is a dog and I'm tired of it. I have a list a mile long. The truck is a early 04 with 117,000 miles. Coolants never been changed and neither has the oil cooler/egr cooler/hg. About a year ago I experience puking out of my degas bottle. It was enough to stain everything with Nasty gold/rusty coolant. Well It scared me a little but a replaced the cap thinking it might be a faulty cap along with more coolant. Hasn't puked since, BUT I've constantly had to add to it ever since a little at a time every few week or so. My ect gauge is down at the moment but the oil temps have got as high as 230 on the interstate with no load. I've decided it's time for a good flush with elc/new oil cooler/ egr delete/ updated spring and new turbo lines. But the thing is I can't decide it my gaskets have gone or not. I built a pressure tester and it ran about 3 to 5psi hammering it up a hill but I still don't trust it. It does have a noticeably loss of power since purchase and I'm not experiencing any smoke. Are they blown and do I just fix while I'm in there??? My dad thinks don't fix it if it's not broke "they will last a life time if not hot rodded" etc but it's hard to explain to people that know nothing of the 6.0 motor. I tell people take everything you think you know about a motor and throw it out the window because chances are it does not apply lol. What should I do people? I will be livid if I fix the coolers and not studs and it doesn't fix it or blows. IMO it would be a waist of money and my time to have to get back in there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have the same problem as you.My egr cooler is blown which is caused by the oil cooler being plugged but I don't know if my head gaskets are gone or not.The other problem I have is convincing myself to spend around $4000 for parts,including injectors,to do everything while I'm in there.My trucks been parked for a couple of months now.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Well I plan on spending no where near 4000. I will be doing all the work myself. I figured my oil cooler job/egr delete after I get all the parts will cost me 500 give or take a few. Ordering everything from tousley ford. As far as the head job I haven't figured it up yet. Another 400 for studs, oem gaskets. I don't know what else I need but 4000 ain't happening lol I'll turn my wrenches for months before I pay a stealership to lay a finger on my truck.

Anyone have advice would be appreciated greatly. Thank you
Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well after reading this typical post, I have come to the conclusion that it is not the trucks fault. You basically "monitored" the problem to failure, at least a year ago. Congratulations. A monitor is supposed to be used to stop further damage and failure, it never ceases to amaze me. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 06-24-2012, 04:46 PM

if you hooked up a guage to the degass bottle and only got 3 to5 psi after hammering it hard up a grade, then trust the diagnostics and replace the things you need to replace and leave the head gaskets alone.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
Well after reading this typical post, I have come to the conclusion that it is not the trucks fault. You basically "monitored" the problem to failure, at least a year ago. Congratulations. A monitor is supposed to be used to stop further damage and failure, it never ceases to amaze me. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I500
What amazes me is when people like you read this TYPICAL posts you still waste your time posting useless information. If you have nothing helpfull to say why say anything.

When the truck puked I had no gauges at the time. I bought a new cap. Problem solved. Now it's to the point where I'm adding coolant. So when the egr cooler goes it tends to use a lot of coolant? I pressure tested the system again tonight never going over 5psi. I didn't know if I trusted it because it was using so much coolant leading me to think the hg were gone as well. I'm not an idiot an I havent been abusing or driving my truck to death I'm just trying to trouble shoot. I was just thinking if I should replace the gaskets as well while I'm in there. Even if they aren't technically blown, have the TTY bolts stretched any eventually leading to hgs? Hince me asking question for advice. Thanks for any helpfull people with input
Old 06-24-2012, 05:54 PM

If you're in there and you're concerned about it, I'd recommend pulling the heads, having them checked for flatness and cracks, and studding it. JMO.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:50 PM

Ok id drove the truck around a bit before my last post. On my way home I hit the biggest hill I could think off. It was running about 6 to 7 psi and it up to ten and when I let out to kind flickered and went back to about 8ish. Is this normal? I know the system is designed to blow off at 16 psi and high pressure is bad but is 10 to high? Most videos I've seen when they hammer it it just strait climbs until the cap blows
Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0075 View Post
Well I plan on spending no where near 4000. I will be doing all the work myself. I figured my oil cooler job/egr delete after I get all the parts will cost me 500 give or take a few. Ordering everything from tousley ford. As far as the head job I haven't figured it up yet. Another 400 for studs, oem gaskets. I don't know what else I need but 4000 ain't happening lol I'll turn my wrenches for months before I pay a stealership to lay a finger on my truck.

Anyone have advice would be appreciated greatly. Thank you
The $4000 is just parts.injectors are $1600,arp studs are $600 then the egr cooler,oil cooler,hpop,head gaskets and so on.Then there's the 13% tax we have to pay in Ontario.If I just do the required repairs I'm about $1500 on parts.Thats the 2 coolers,1 injector,coolant,oil,filters.Just to do an oil change on this truck cost at least $100 doing it myself.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS/Fan View Post
The $4000 is just parts.injectors are $1600,arp studs are $600 then the egr cooler,oil cooler,hpop,head gaskets and so on.Then there's the 13% tax we have to pay in Ontario.If I just do the required repairs I'm about $1500 on parts.Thats the 2 coolers,1 injector,coolant,oil,filters.Just to do an oil change on this truck cost at least $100 doing it myself.
If you search online you can find studs from 400-450! I'm not sure if tousley ford will ship to Canada. I'm sure they will. They have the best prices. Search tousley and get the number. Worth a call. What kind of emissions do you have. I'd delete the egr cooler before I put that crap back in there. Sounds to me like you have some long days ahead of you! Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.