Engine Miss when warm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Miss when warm

Hey guys,
My 04 6.0 F350 CC started having issues only after long highway run over 40 min or so. when i would get off the freeway and come to a stop the truck starts having a miss completely random miss that shakes the truck. sometimes happens 3 times every couple second sometimes more sometimes less. sometimes the miss is hard and really shakes the truck and sometimes small and barely feel it. No odd noises are made only a split second of no noise cause of the miss. This problem has slowly got worse to the point now of maybe only a few minutes running and it starts to happen lightly. Never dies. Starts everytime no prob and runs smooth till warm.

Took the truck to Mech. who charged me a few hundred to tell me i have no codes. "NO ****," right i new that. anyways they did the key on engine off and key on engine on thing and nothing. They cleaned my EGR and said they couldnt replicate the problem it was prob dirty EGR causing it. Drove it home and truck did it on the way home. Called the Owner and told him my feelings on the matter so we went for a ride. Hooked computer and dont you know it started doing it just like everytime i drive it. Must have been one lucky ride for it to not do it 1 time in 100+ drives.. anyways computer shows nothing out of the norm FICM at 48 ICP within norm. A slight drop in the 1,4,7 injectors around the same time the misses happen but nothing substantial and not really any lower than other cylandars. His guess says replace injectors but thats too expensive of a guess for me. Any body have issue like this and fixed it. Whats left that the computer wouldn't see.

He could not see fuel pressure with his computer. How can I check this?

Truck is not tuned has 102,000, Clean egr, Regular oil changes with filter, recent fuel filters <2000k. 15w40 rotella. Have guages turbo boost is 20 to 25 WOT, trans runs at 160, EGT below 800 most times jumps to 1100 WOT. Stock engine no delete or upgrades.

I have slowly noticed more lag off the line than normal with black smoke from pipe. Not much but more than normal.

Removed air intake pipes and spun turbo shaft spins super easy no play in it. I dont think the turbo could cause a miss though. Im no mech.

Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the connectors on the FICM, make sure they are all in tight? Dunno, just a guess.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

I had the same issue going on. I was getting a contribution in one or two cylinders, loss of power and rough idle and black smoke. Cleaned turbo (because I took it off to get to the ICP) and swapped out ICP. I switch to T6 and hot shot secret but was still having a hard start / no start issue. I narrowed it down to my FICM. Just sent it off today to FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair and should have it back by next week. I will let you know if that solved the problem. I am at almost 250,000 miles and the only issues I have had with the truck are EGR replaced at about 135,000 and the ICP replaced at 244,000 and now the FICM at 247,000. I will probably replace the glow plugs when I reinstall the FICM next week. I will keep you posted.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just got a 6.0 with only 48k miles... seems to be doing the same thing. found this vid on youtube, sounds like the same noise my truck is making as well as an alternate method of checking whether your ficm is fx properly or not.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's nice to see how to test the FICM with a regular volt meter, Thanks for posting that up, ugly green coolant in that rig and I don't know if it is just my chicken ways but I disconnect my batteries before unplugging the FICM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the ideas i will check the FICM connections and test it the video way. Ill let you know what i find.

thinking about getting the Autoenginuity PC software
Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the mechanic also said that switching to 5w40 would help out a lot. If i am not having cold running issues how would 5w40 help over 15w40. they are both 40 and thats what counts with the warm engine right?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wouldn't think it's an oil issue, not if your troubles come at warmer temp... unless it's that dirty. then again, this is my PS (first diesel, actually), and I suppose anything is possible?
Old 06-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well did the FICM meter test. Solid 48v key on and 48 to 49 solid when running. I also drove the vehicle to replicate the miss and once it started missing checked the meter again and even when the miss is happening there is no change in voltage so im guessing the FICM is fine. Unpluging the ICP does not stop the miss from happening either. Unless anyone else knows of any other part in the injection system, all that is left is the injectors right?

The miss requires EGT's to be up it seems. If i turn vehicle on and idle or even press and hold throttle in nuetral to warm even for an hour the problem doesnt start. With out load my EGTs dont get over 600. Once I drive it then the problem starts as 600 to 800+ EGTs are regularly hit. Towing increases the severity of the miss.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Too Many Symptoms with no Cure Yet

Start at post #23. Not sure if it will help but that guys says his shuttering and shaking (like it was missing or skipping) turned out to be a bad electrical conection at the rear brakes. It might be worth looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.