Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

3 weeks old, now "low oil pressure" light?!

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Tommyquest 
#1 ·
Hello everyone-
So I bought a 2006 crew cab king ranch from the local dealership about 3 weeks ago. now when I start it up i get a "low oil pressure" warning. It will go away if i blip the throttle. It happens throughout the day when I am at idle.

I have a 3 month warranty from the dealer. What should I hope they replace? Low oil pressure pump? HPOP? I just want to be able to talk to the service manager and have expectations ahead of time.
Thanks!

#5 ·
I think that warning is based on too low of pressure from the low pressure oil pump. As previously stated, check your oil level.

Possible causes are bad low pressure pump, obstructed pickup, bad pressure regulator, bad oil, low oil. Could aslo be a bad pressure sensor.

Considering you just bought it and is is not leaking vast amounts of oil, the dealer should correct any of these issues. However, if it is just low oil it would save you a bunch of time to just check it yourself.

If you are feeling ambitious, you could tee in a manual pressure gauge and observe the actual pressure.

MikeB

#7 ·
Thank you everyone for your thoughts!

I did notice that it takes a little more cranking for it to start. not sure if I am imagining it or not.

#10 ·
Has this truck had a recent set of EGR/oil coolers replaced by any chance? If so, it wouldn't surprise me if the oil pressure switch has failed. At the very least, it would be a very simple and inexpensive part to "try" as a start. Replacement only requires the turbo oil supply tube be removed to access and replace.

#12 ·
I am not sure if the EGR/oil cooler has been replaced. I bought the truck used from a dealer.
I am taking it in today at 9:00 for them to assess. I will post back with more info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.