White Smoke Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke Problem

So I bought this 06 6.0 last month and it starts pouring white smoke out the exhaust, wtf

its got upgraded Garrett Turbo, straight pipe, cai, egr delete, sct programmer, Idk but I was told arp head studs and gaskets replaced along with bigger injectors.

I took it to a dealer and there guy thinks the injectors are too big for the stock calibrated tuner, is this a possibilty? I hope so cuz it would be a perfect excuse to upgrade from sct's x3 to there custom tuned livewire.

when I beat on it the white smoke stops, for a couple days anyways, also my oil level is staying the same so no problem there. but I did have too refill on coolant twice now, slight bit of white around cap. hope i provided enough info so someone can help me out on this one, Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like head bolt failure symtoms...

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you should not have to fill your coolant at all unless there is a leak. check for external leaks. if none are seen, than i'd suspect the gaskets or studs. or head is warped
Old 06-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah theres no leakes anywhere i can find, so probly no easy way of seeing if the gaskets or bolts are the problem with out just pulling it all off? or would ya know by doing a pressure test?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Google 6.0 head gasket test.:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 06-23-2012, 04:47 PM

kind of risky, but sometimes a quick test, is while the engine is cold put your hand over the degas bottle in place of the cap. then put the truck under boost by having someone power brake it, you can usually feel the exhaust pulse. or you can fill your degas bottle up to the limit of the cap and watch it bubble from the gases.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

If it's smoking and you've ruled out oil, it can only be fuel or coolant and since your coolant level seems to be dropping, this has to be what's producing the smoke. Add that you also have white residue around the cap and an EGR delete, it has to be bad HG's man. Check out the link and it will help you determine if you have head studs or the stock TTY bolts.

Are these the head bolts? (identify a picture)
Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help I checked out that thread and confirmed that i do infact have arp head studs and not factory bolts. i will do a pressure test my self and see for sure if the pressure is spiking above 15psi. with that being said my next question "Its probly a stupid one" but has anyone heard of junk egr deletes, the delete kit i have is from river city diesel, is it even possible with egr cooler gone to have white smoke out the exhaust?
Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM

EGR Cooler failure and/or blown head gaskets are the most likely causes. White smoke is actually steam. It's water burning through your cylinders.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the help, Its looking like I have a cracked head, So while im in there im considering 08 banjo bolts and bigger injectors, just looking for input on choices of new set of heads, and any other suggestions for upgrades while im this far, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.