Question on cooling fan! Help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question on cooling fan! Help please

Ok guys fan keeps coming on like it's over heating but it's not. Currently my ect gauge is not working. Plan to fix this weekend. My eot is running high and I'm sure I'm ready for a new oil cooler. My truck isn't over heating to my knowledge. It will come on and off. As I accelerate it gets louder and visa versa. Is it the fan clutch going bad or does it come on because of my oil temp? It will get up to 215 and 223 at the very highest. It will come on during acceleration and randomly go off?? If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 PM

You cooling fan is probably working correctly. It is desidened to turn on and off as needed according to temp readings from seveal different sources. Ect ; EOT; Transmission Temp; A/c Condensor temps; CAC temps. Any one of them or combination will cause the pcm to engage the clutch fan and turn it off when its paremeters become normal again. Unfortunately we mortals don't know exactly know what those ranges are, Ford has no published temp range to speed charts that I have found in 7 years of serching. If anybody has a chart I would really love to see it so I can prove or disprove a couple of theories of mine.
Generaly it comes on in full lock up at ect of 225 eot of 250 Trans at 175 or so and a/c at 350 psi there abouts on the high side from what I have seen.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 AM

Well my oil and coolant temps are not high enough to cause the fan to engage. I did just have my air fixed. It didn't work forever and Replaces the compressor and the other parts. Would that be causing it? I have been running the air. I'm lost at this point. If I take off from a dead stop after the truck is warm it will come on and after I shift to third or so an accelerate hard it will just go off. I hate to buy a 250 dollar clutch for no reason
Old 06-21-2012, 03:54 AM

The temps I quoted are for full lock up, the fan can come on and off without being in full lock up. As long as your fan is comeing on and your temps stay pretty low, below the temps stated there is no reason to change the clutch fan. It is doing what it is supposed to do. I can only give the max temps from observation. The minimum temp that it will engage is not published. The fan is designed to work at variable speeds.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 AM

Ok well Ive had the truck for 3 years and it's never done it before except for when my factory temp sensor went bad. Quick fix and it didn't do it anymore buy my factory temp gauge was pegged at hot. I def don't thing what it's doing is normal by any means. I have a stick so it's abnormally loud. And as I wind out each gear its obnoctiously loud??
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by at0075 View Post
Ok guys fan keeps coming on like it's over heating but it's not. Currently my ect gauge is not working. Plan to fix this weekend. My eot is running high and I'm sure I'm ready for a new oil cooler. My truck isn't over heating to my knowledge. It will come on and off. As I accelerate it gets louder and visa versa. Is it the fan clutch going bad or does it come on because of my oil temp? It will get up to 215 and 223 at the very highest. It will come on during acceleration and randomly go off?? If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Fix the temperature sensor first then reassess things. My guess is its running more as a safety measure.

My RAZR made me send this...
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 AM

I replaced the stock temp sensor in the spring. When it went bad the truck was reading hot on the dash and its not now. Would a dirty coolant system be causing this? Lack of flow or something? I'm getting ready to order the mother load for my truck. Sct, scan gauge 2, oil cooler, egr delete, coolant filter, studs. I'm going to attempt everything at home. This Truck makes me lose sleep at night lol.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I replaced the stock temp sensor in the spring. When it went bad the truck was reading hot on the dash and its not now. Would a dirty coolant system be causing this? Lack of flow or something? I'm getting ready to order the mother load for my truck. Sct, scan gauge 2, oil cooler, egr delete, coolant filter, studs. I'm going to attempt everything at home. This Truck makes me lose sleep at night lol.
Well in your first post you said the ECT gauge was not working so i just assumed it was the sensor. Its hard to say that there is a problem without knowing what the temps are in my opinion. Mine has been running hotter and more fan than in january when I bought it but thats because its been heating up a lot in my neck of the woods. I think you should be able to do it all as long as your have some sort of mechanical aptitude and a hell of a lot of patience.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM

The factory sensor is fine but my sending unit to my pillar ect gauge went bad. Plan on changing it sat so we will see. I would only assume its lower than the oil temp. Yeah I have some patience but my fear is I will get started and can't finish. If you think about it. It a mind boggling job
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The factory sensor is fine but my sending unit to my pillar ect gauge went bad. Plan on changing it sat so we will see. I would only assume its lower than the oil temp. Yeah I have some patience but my fear is I will get started and can't finish. If you think about it. It a mind boggling job
Ahh I gotcha now, it could be a problem with your clutch. Is your EGR valve still connected and are you getting any EGR codes?

It is a very big job to do. I have not tackeled the whole thing yet (only egr delete, turbo recon, and oil cooler) but I have rebuilt several gas motors. All I know is when it comes time for studs, my cab is coming off one way or another. Just take your time and take lots of pictures. If you get stuck, come back on here and Im sure one of us will be able to help ya out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.