EGR delete VS Houston TX vehicle insp emissions tests - Code(s)? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Craig

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR delete VS Houston TX vehicle insp emissions tests - Code(s)?

I am interested in installing an EGR delete kit for my 2006 6.OHNO! In my reading, I saw somewhere that after installing, the system will "throw" a code. I live Houston, Texas and our annual vehicle inspections in the city require emissions testing. If the engine is throwing a code for the EGR because of the "delete kit", then my truck won't pass the emisions portion and that would be a problem. Can anyone educate me in this matter. Will I have a consistent code? If yes, what code? Going to a non-emissions location is not an option JIC someone suggests. Lastly, which kit. I've watched Youtube, looked over eBay and seen several of the offerings, but not sure which to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an 04 with an EGR delete and I don't have any codes. It may be different with 06s though. My delete is by Sinister Diesel and I got it from MKM Customs.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 PM

When I was deciding between deleting and not deleting I opted not to not delete because I was told by a couple of mechanics that EGR helped the emmission output when the truck idles and the engine is cooler but not so much when the truck was warm and at high RPM's. The tests here in AZ test at both low and high RPM's and I was told it may or may not pass during the idle portion of test if I deleted it. If I'm wrong I'm sure I will be corrected shortly.

The code issue wasn't a big factor, if it happens it can be cleared.

I went with the BPD full system because they are here in AZ. My truck passed emissions like a Prius.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Craig

We have a similar low/hi rpm test. One time before, I had a O2 sensor code on the Minivan that hadn't cause the check engine light to come on. He wouldn't pass the van. I went home, disconnected the battery and then drove for a little bit before going back up to the shop for re-inspect. He new right away that I had just "cleared" the code and wouldn't pass it. Had to change the sensor (which I would have changed EVENTUALLY anyway). Just forced my hand. All that to say, if there is a code, then I don't think it would be worth my time/$ to do the "delete kit". Just trying to gather the facts. Please keep them coming.

Last edited by DeepnTheHeartOfTexas; 06-20-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 AM

we don't have a high/low RPM test on diesels. there is no smog testing on diesels in TX

on an 05+ 250/350, you will get an EGR flow insufficient code after so many miles/hrs of driving. It is a nuisance code with CEL.

You can simply reset/clear DTC's before getting the truck inspected. It won't pop back up for a while. Certainly long enough for them to slap a sticker on it
Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepnTheHeartOfTexas View Post
I live Houston, Texas and our annual vehicle inspections in the city require emissions testing.
Say what? Since when?

Shawn
Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 AM

I think it was reinstated last year I vaugely remember getting a letter from DOT about it, also warning us that any of our equipment working in Houston had to comply even tho our home base is in orange county which has no emmisions testing.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 AM

you can't reinstate something that was never instated...

straight from the TX DPS website:

Quote:
Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
I think it was reinstated last year I vaugely remember getting a letter from DOT about it, also warning us that any of our equipment working in Houston had to comply even tho our home base is in orange county which has no emmisions testing.
Me thinks:
A Someone is screwing with ya'll about the emissions.

-or-

B Someone is confused.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:30 AM
Craig

Gas vehicles newer than 10 years old, they drive on to a floor roller, secure with straps and accelerate vehicle up to "whatever RPM" and test. They also perform an idle test. Both tests have the sensor up the rear. Diesel, they place sensor up rear, run at idle while OBD is connected to computer. Then the program runs the engine at an increased RPM (1800?). Then the the probe is removed, gas cap checked and it either passes or it fails. Two different low/hi RPM tests. At least that's how it's done at the shop I go to. The state sets all of this up and I would have a hard time believing it was different other than "non-emissions" VS "emissions" areas. Are people seeing the tests performed differently than I? Still, I'm not at a point where I am educated enough to know if the benefits outweight the "possible risks" (those risks being "am I gonna pass inspection or not"). Keep the conversation going. Eventually there will be enough said here that I can make an educated decision. Thanks agian!

Last edited by DeepnTheHeartOfTexas; 06-21-2012 at 06:31 AM. Reason: punctuation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.