Another Dreaded Newb - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Dreaded Newb

Yes I know, newbies are a pain but just remember, pain is part of life - or so I think. - and speaking of pain... Just bought a 2005 F-250 Powerstroke, my firstest diesel ever, has 122K on it and other than it's black and it came from Florida, I know very little else about it.

After some haggling with the dealer, I drove my new toy home and decided that I'd better do the general maintance on it given the fact that I don't have the truck's service records. Leaving the store with 4 gallons of oil, two transmission filters, and gas filters I left feeling a bit violated.

Changed the oil and solved the "WTF" puzzle with the oil filter, the previous person used some off brand which left a plastic piece still in the cap. Once I removed that, the motorcraft filter went in nicely and the truck ran fine.

Then the gas filters went in. I "probably" would have been ok except the oil filter issue made me wonder, "What other surprises are in store for me with the previous owner's choice of filters". The small gas filter ( on top of the motor ) did not again look exactly like the motorcraft filter I was installing and then I started thinking and here things went South.

I looked at the teal o-ring looking ring at the top of the post that is part of the truck's gas filter and wondered if that was part of the OLD gas filter that I just removed. When I removed the old oil filter, part of it was left behind so I wondered if that belonged on there or not. I installed the new filter without bothering it, changed the other filter in the frame and started the truck after 4 cycles and it idled fine.

A couple days later I was going to take the truck and a mile from my house it died. It began running like crap, shaking and hammering hard and then the motor died. My mind flashed back to that teal ring in the gas filter area and I assumed that my mistake was NOT removing it, so I took it apart and removed it breaking it in the process ( Just the little ring ). I started the truck, it idled fine for 5 minutes and I thought all was well and it died again in about a mile.

Some checking on the net revealed that indeed the teal ring I removed was meant to be there and wasn't to be removed. I have ordered the part from my Ford Dealer ( $42 ) and will install it again.

My question is: What does that little teal ring do anyway? I believe that even after I install this new part back into the gas filter canister that the truck will again do the same thing... idle fine for an indefinate amount of time but shut off in a mile or so. I must say this first taste of a diesel truck isn't very sweet.

Thanks to all who read all of this and don't send hate mail. LOL

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I dont know about the ring you are talking about, but I must say that you may need to replace the old oil cap with a motorcraft cap if you are not sure what it is now, and maybe both fuel filter caps. The ford oil cap is shorter than some others, and should be verified.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 06-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That teal o-ring that sits on the black tube is to seal your filter. Without it, you may have fuel pass by that is not filtered. The fuel is introduced into that fuel filter housing through the black stand pipe. The o-ring seals around the inside of the fuel filter and the fuel rises into the inner portion of the filter. Then the fuel runs through the filter to the exterior part of the filter and rises into the bowl. From there it is distributed into 4 (I believe its four) different fuel lines. A couple going to the heads, I think one is a return, and cant remember what the other is for without going out to the truck to look. Hope this info helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.