how hot is too hot? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how hot is too hot?

this weekend pulling our small pop-up camper (3500#) at 72-74 I was seeing EOT as high as 230, ECT as high as 216. The truck indicated an air temp between 89-93. The indicated air temp appeared several degrees higher than normal this weekend, which was unusual. This is the highest I have seen, and last summer was a scorcher.

In general the delta stayed at or below 15, at times it was as high as 21, but this was when going down hills and the ECT quickly dropped.

My around temps will often hit EOT 220, ECT 210 with a trailer.

I also noticed that my A/C would turn quickly hot as soon as we dropped below highway speed.

Truck ran like normal, no loss of power etc. TFT temps were good the whole time. Idles slightly rough when coming off the highway at those temps, but settles down quickly.

Running Rotella T6 with archoil additive. Last 1/4 of the trip was on B99 and the truck did idle better with the bio - it always does.

So question is: anything here to worry about? Seems awful hot, but then again, it was pretty hot and humid this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM

A 15* delta is the max allowable your oil cooler is badly restricted plus the mileage of your vehicle on a stock cooler I would recomend replaceing the oil cooler and egr cooler.

A coolant flush before changeing and the addition of a coolant filter is recomended. I would also suggest pulling the radiator and have it boiled and rodded out. NOTE check prices some shops charge as much for boiling and rodding out as you can get a new aftermarket radiator. Your call

At this stage you could shortly have head gasket damage or a cracked head/s
While this is not a cheap procedure it is cheaper than haveing to do it anyway plus the head job after they blow, again your call. While your decideing try washing thru your condensor; cac and radiator with a water hose (no pressure washer) and clean the crud out of the air passages. That will at least help some.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 AM

the max of 15 degrees is at 60 mph on level ground unloaded... I don't tow much, but I would think that at that speed towing those temps aren't too bad.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a bad habit of over maintaining my vehicles. That being said I have extreme paranoia when I know there are existing conditions that "may" go wrong. I just picked up my '03 PSD Excursion on Friday. I fully knew about all the 6.0 "issues" when I purchased. I had already planned on "bullet proofing" my 6.0 after I bought it. But just to give me a little peace of mind until I complete all of my maintenance and can establish schedules etc. I am currently seeing a ECT running anywhere from 190-216*F and EOT anywhere from 5-13*F above that. Note this is cruising at 75-83 MPH with a decent amount of hills. I have tested after the vehicle has been operated in the above mentioned conditions at 65 MPH and seen a delta T of about 8*F between the ECT and EOT. Obviously EOT>ECT. I don't see a major problem with these numbers, but I plan on switching all lubricants to Amsoil probably with a RevX additive and remote filtration, possibly a BPD oil cooler, and Amsoil ELC coolant with a dieselsite filter. But I will need a little time to do this. Does anyone see a major issue with my temps? I don't, but I am new to the 6.0 world. I have seen spikes higher than this but both the ECT and EOT followed each other and never exceeded a 13*F differential. Guessing it was around 85-90*F with negligible humidity on my commute home today when temps reached their highest. Thanks in advance.

P.S. High I believe was ECT 216*F and EOT 229*F but both dropped pretty quick after temps were reached. Also there was probably a sustained 35+MPH wind(Mostly Crosswind) my whole trip home today(Normal). Welcome to wonderful SE Wyoming.

Cheers,

Brew

Last edited by Brew_WY; 06-18-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Additonal Info
Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
A 15* delta is the max allowable your oil cooler is badly restricted plus the mileage of your vehicle on a stock cooler I would recomend replaceing the oil cooler and egr cooler.

A coolant flush before changeing and the addition of a coolant filter is recomended. I would also suggest pulling the radiator and have it boiled and rodded out. NOTE check prices some shops charge as much for boiling and rodding out as you can get a new aftermarket radiator. Your call

At this stage you could shortly have head gasket damage or a cracked head/s
While this is not a cheap procedure it is cheaper than haveing to do it anyway plus the head job after they blow, again your call. While your decideing try washing thru your condensor; cac and radiator with a water hose (no pressure washer) and clean the crud out of the air passages. That will at least help some.
talked to diesel mechanic yesterday. he said the 15 degree delta is on flat ground at 60-65. at those speeds, on flat ground, mine is around 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.