turbo not spooling up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo not spooling up

I have an 04 excursion 90000 miles. had to do an egr delete back in the fall but otherwise she is stock. lately it sounds and feels like I haven't been getting any boost. truck still runs fairly normal just quite sluggish. I haven't had any excessive smoke of any kind just a bit more on start up.
I have been getting a squealling like the belt is slipping. this has been getting gradually worse ( is the worst from 1800 rpm and up). I checked the tensioner and such but the belt system seems to be fine. noise got worse the other day so I took a listen ( could hear it at idle now) sounded like it was coming from the turbo area. I did some research and checked a few things out. somebody suggested that the shaft could be broken in the turbo.

- doesn't seem to be a leak in the pipes.
- took off the inlet and checked the tubine. clean, no carbon or oil, spins freely.
- no excessive play. moves slightly side to side but not in and out.
- not getting any codes accept egr ( due to the delete ) and I got a "map" sensor code that I cleared and hasn't come back since.

Deisels are fairly new to me so this is a bit of a learning curve. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Last edited by alwayslearnin; 06-14-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Could be your turbo needs to be cleaned. The 6.0L have VGTs (Variable Geometry Turbo). This causes your vanes to move in or out to catch the exhaust better or not. I've read where these can get coked up with soot causing them not to function or limit the function.

Go up to the "Google Custom Search" box under the PowerStroke.org logo and type in "VGT Turbo" - You'll get a bunch of thread addressing this.

This could be your issue. Others hopefully, will chime in.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

hey there!
lets see if we can't help you out a bit. how much boost would you say you are making? feel a lag that is longer than normal? are you using a generic scan tool to pull the codes, as many codes are enhanced and won't get pulled using it. but i'd say your turbo is sticking internally. basically what happens is inside your turbo it is two pieces. the compressor housing and the turbine housing. on the turbine housing there are posts with little metal trangles on them that pivot. these are called vanes. on your compressor side you have a unison ring which seats on top of the vanes. basically when you are at low speed operation the vanes are wide open which causes a free flowing exhaust and low back pressure. when heavy acceleration occurs the vgt actuator moves the unison ring which closes the vanes which makes high back pressure. and for a turbo more back pressure= more boost.

normal wear and tear and carbon buildup on your turbo will causing carbon to get on the vanes, turbine housing and the unison ring causing the system to perform slower than usual due to the components sticking.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thank you for the info guys. not sure the boost. just bought a gauge yesterday that I need to install, but it doesn't seem like much if any at all. I hear zero turbo wine ( the odd time I hear a brief few seconds as if it temporarily free's up). When I used to step on it she would fly through the gears, now it just plogs through the gears like an old deisel. not nearly the same power. I have been using an equus 3100 to pull the codes.

watched some videos yesterday on how to clean the turbo. seems pretty straight forward (really made it easier to understand how they work). I think I will try that and when I get it apart it will tell me whether I need a new one or not. Although I have heard guys say it is not worth cleaning them just buy a new one. what do you guys think. If I get a new one I think I will also upgrade the exhaust and try and get some of that crap out of there sooner with less back pressure.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:08 PM

absolutely worth cleaning... if done properly! use plenty of anti seize, but none on the posts that the vanes stick on. i've seen plenty go a while without needing a turbo just from a simple restoration.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I took apart the turbo to fine the unison ring was seized to the CHRA. When I got it off I found that the CHRA was pretty badly pitted. Can I just sand it down, put the anti seize on it and give her a whirl or do I need some more serious repairs. everything else looks ok with some cleaning.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslearnin View Post
So I took apart the turbo to fine the unison ring was seized to the CHRA. When I got it off I found that the CHRA was pretty badly pitted. Can I just sand it down, put the anti seize on it and give her a whirl or do I need some more serious repairs. everything else looks ok with some cleaning.
What did you end up doing with the turbo? did you sand it down and clean it up?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 PM

Subscribed
Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ended up replacing it with a reman from BD Deisel ( they machine out some of the problem areas ). After seeing all the rust and pitting I didn't want to take the chance of it being one of those one month jobs. I was going on vacation and doing some travelling and didn't want to have problems. If it had just been buildup I would have just cleaned it and gone that way but since there was lots of rust and pitting I went with the reman. I also read somewhere that the temps get over 1200 degrees and antiseize only goes to 900.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslearnin View Post
I ended up replacing it with a reman from BD Deisel ( they machine out some of the problem areas ). After seeing all the rust and pitting I didn't want to take the chance of it being one of those one month jobs. I was going on vacation and doing some travelling and didn't want to have problems. If it had just been buildup I would have just cleaned it and gone that way but since there was lots of rust and pitting I went with the reman. I also read somewhere that the temps get over 1200 degrees and antiseize only goes to 900.
My 05 turbo is pitted pretty badly too. Thinking of going with a Powermax. Did you see your EGTs go down when you put the new turbo in??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.