fuel pressure acting erratic - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel pressure acting erratic

I have the Blue spring upgrade, and i have an EDGE Eas 1/8Npt Sender in the top of my Fuel filter cap secondary*. Usually after i start the truck its like 60-64Psi Today it did, then at work i left for lunch around 130pm and it started up with 40psi, then fluctuated then got to 60psi steady after 3 min...took a short drive, came back started it up again same thing. So When I left work at 7pm, it was fine 59-63 psi or so. Now when i just went back out, sometimes i KOEO an it says 45psi, then KOEO it says 59psi. The only other thing i have is a Dual Aux filter setup behind the pump with a 25micron water sep and a 3micron Fuel Filter thats been on there for 3K miles already. What could it be? Clogged Fuel Filter? Bad Pump? or maybe the Gauge is acting erratic. I doubt with all the rain and moisture in the air where i am its causing those readings. any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 PM

bump, well i did some more driving around and Im going to change the aux filter setups 3micron filter along with the 20 micron water separator tommorow and put 2 Fuel/Water Separators instead until i find a higher micron Fuel Filter to go along with the water separator. Can a clogged Filter b4 the pump cause low Fuel Pressure at the Housing? After running it gets up to 60-62psi, but sometimes it dips to 54 and sometimes it stays till 58psi. Im hoping its the 3 micron filter thats causing some lack of fuel. If anyone has any input please post, thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 PM

does this have a built in regulator in it?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 AM

nah the filter system is just a dual base with 2 filters, i bypassed them last night so the HFCM draws straight from the tank, I still gets same readings, started up at 59-62psi, then it dips down to 53-55psi driving 3/4 throttle. Once u restart the truck after u shut it off, it idles with 54-55Psi then slowly comes up after a min or two. Also Yesterday i came home aout 945pm, went back out to get something around 12. Opened my truck put the key in and tried to start it about a second after inserting the key and it just cranked no start. then i Key off, then key on wait 5 seconds and it started right up. Not sure where to start to find the problem, the sender gauge seems to be fine, i used my mech gauge and it looked about the same. i also did the blue spring upgrade only a few months ago. Im thinking is the fuel pump so i ordered on last night. Im at this point hoping its a weak fuelpump, but i was starting to think when i went down last night about when i had a breif no start if its something else. i am using Racor filters too. It seems the pump cant keep up under a load, and once u restart it takes some time to build pressure......what do u think?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 PM

unfortunately im not familiar with your setup. but i've seen the regulators cause drain back issues. it sounds like your losing your prime. did you install a bleeder hose to see if bubble are present. could be leaking its prime.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM

im confused with the air bleeder hose, the only regulator on my truck for fuel is the one in the secondary fuel housing, which i upgraded before to the blue spring and it has always been 62-64psi, never dropped below 59psi @ WOT. Now its finicky, if i let the truck sit overnight next morning it fires up with 58-60Psi. If I shut it off, sometimes it gets to 58 sometimes 50, or even 48 then gradually comes up. Under WOT it drops from 62-63 too 48-44psi. sometimes a little lower. Also i found wierd if i brake kinda hard the Psi goes up about 2 psi or so, itll go from 61.8 to like 63.9 or 64.4. I dont know why. Im wondering if the 3 micron filter i had on there put some stress on the pump?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:44 PM

44 is really low wot for an aftermarket kit. thats what the stock one should be at. sounds like your pumpe can't handle the full pressure
Old 06-17-2012, 08:28 AM

just gunna replace the HFCM pump and see what happens its coming tommorow, if it was the regulator in the secondary housing and it was getting stuck open partially wouldnt that also cause the same symptoms? Pump was good one morning, and same day 6 hours later its output seems to have dropped off.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:50 PM

when you checked your fuel pressure is it moving alot? like not very stable? i'd be leaning more towards the conditioning module like you said. that'd be your best bet
Old 06-18-2012, 02:25 PM

Update**** Changed pump assy today got a brand new one Motorcraft HFCM and all. Pressure is @ 68Psi....i think i know what the culprit was hahaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.