Out of ideas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Out of ideas

04 f350, 136k miles. I started having power, cranking, etc problems so had it diagnosed....the infamous 299 code popped up. Long story short.....cleaned VGT, EGR delete, new fluids and filters , ran thru relearn steps.......now, easy start, smooth idle, no exhaust smoke but turbo makes hissing sound and no lower end boost.........someone help, I am out of ideas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 AM

Dumb question but did you check all your boost hoses, intercooler, etc. Note check while trying to make boost.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a clamp on the exhuast is leaking. It can be difficult to get them lined up properly. Do not use the clamps to draw the pipe to the turbine.

Loosen the up-pipe to manifold bolts, loosen turbo mount bolts, be sure to get the pipes lined up flush and square to the turbo, tighten the clamps, then tightn the exhaust to up-pipe connection, then tighten down the turbo mount bolts.

MikeB
Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
id say boost leak but you claim to have upper end power. so maybe increased turbo lag.... maybe you have a smaller boost leak or filter clogged up a bit. maybe at first it receives to much air so the trucks computer cuts the power due to mass air flow sensor. maybe even check the intake tubes from filter to turbo. also do the other steps the others posted
Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. Turns out the Y- tube and the turbo were not matched up. A little knuckle busting and bingo, all is now well. After the fix it coughed and sputtered but I took it out on the highway and put the hammer down. I cleared up and is running like a new one. Again, thanks for the great advice.

Mike
Old 06-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: put it on the road yesterday. It drove like new, no lag, no smoke, no coughing, etc. took it out an hour ago.....we are back at it!! Started off coughing and puffin smokebthennit seemed to clear up. A couple more miles down the road it begins to lose some boost, begins coughing and puffing smoke.

Yesterday I was at Autozone, they checked the codes and it showed " no codes ".

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Need help!

Thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 PM

You need a High powered scan tool ( snap-on ) to see live feed, look at your VGT %, boost,etc. We've had seen similar problems with the turbo vanes either rusted up and frozen in place or just destroyed causing no boost then over fueling. You can diagonse the problem with a good scan tool instead of wasting time and money pulling parts and guessing.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It went to the shop today to find out the issue(s). I hate for a piece of machinery to defeat me.....aaaaaargh!!! I'll post the findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.