6.0L Boost Issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L Boost Issues?

I have a 2003 F250 6.0L. Bought it last August and it ran like a beast. tons of power and jumped off the line like sports car. The EGR cooler went bad. Put in the delete kit. EGR Valve still installed. The truck had no power after getting it back together. I took it to a diesel mech and he had it for over a month trying to figure out the problem. They took the turbo apart and rebuilt it. Tested the Actuator and the actuator pigtail which both tested good. They replaced some valve by the intercooler? And cleaned carbon out of the MAP sensor line. When they finally got it to start building boost, the turbo blew apart. They then put in a reman turbo unit and about $4500 later my truck still runs like crap. I got the truck back in Feb and since then it has no boost off the line. It starts building boost after 3000 rpms in first and then in second the boost goes from around 7psi to 17psi, but from idle through 3000 rpms. On top of that when i first start driving it and the truck isnt completely hot it hangs at 3000 rpms and starts blowing a bluish white smoke. even after it gets to full operational temp it still wont start building boost until 2nd gear and stutters around 3000 rpms. I've been dealing with this for 4 months now and its getting really frustrating. i can't find any real answers to what is causing this. Also they mechanic said he believes the truck had been previously power tuned before i bought it.

Please can anyone help me with this? Have any ideas or know anyone who has had similar issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having this same issue on my 2003 6.0 Had turbo rebuilt and did egr delete Am changing my ICPR as Tech I chat with said may not be building high oil pressure to get more fuel intil 3000 rpm. Worth a shot right now
Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any luck with changing your ICPR?

My 6.0 is going back in the shop tomorrow. I haven't had any luck figuring out what's going on. If the mechanic figures anything out, Ill post it on here.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your using a older ECM strategy (non inferred) I would check the EBP sensor (Exhaust Back Pressure). It's located by the thermostat housing. I would consult the 6.0l Bible for it's location. This sensor can fail, clog and cause all types of problems up to and including turbo failure. make sure you clean the line and check the sensor try to clean. If you have access to IDS or AE check that baro, MAP, and EBP are within .5lbs with KOEO.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. I'll check into that.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:58 PM

is this mechanic experienced? yes i could definately agree with ebp, although that is more common with the late builds. i'd say after restoring the turbo's the techs did not perform the relearn procedure. 03's require the turbo to relearn after any repair, or they will be very erratic!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemyego View Post
is this mechanic experienced? yes i could definately agree with ebp, although that is more common with the late builds. i'd say after restoring the turbo's the techs did not perform the relearn procedure. 03's require the turbo to relearn after any repair, or they will be very erratic!
good thinking, with me not having a 03 I tend to forget this.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the info everyone. I really appreciate it.

Is the relearn procedure something I can do myself?
Im not familiar with it. How do I perform it?
Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yes, you can do the relearn procedure and we have it posted somewhere here on the ORG. In that amount of time, though, it should have already "normalized". It wouldn't hurt to try it.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Replaced ICPR and the sensor with no change. Found the thread on the relearn. Tried. Think it was working as the exhaust did change pitch per the directions. Still no boost until engine rpm over 3000. Truck is at Ford dealer. They can not figure out. Told me needed new center section for $1K OK'd the repair reluctantly. Left me a message saing new section did not fix problem and they are stumped.
Son of a ...gun Am to start holiday this Friday with family in our 5th wheel. Will contact Service Manager and ask him to change EBP sensor. Any input is so greatly apricieated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0l problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.