EMERGENCY - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EMERGENCY

Not sure what happened but on the way to work this morning I think the truck took a major crap on me. About 4 miles from work had to stop at a stop sign before turning onto the main highway. Noticed the truck had a slight ticking noise on takeoff, sounded like the motor when you first start it up cold after sitting all night. Thought I would baby it to work, only had 4 more miles to go... well about halfway there truck made a shuttering noise and it sounded like some metal gave way somewhere and then the whole truck had a bad vibration as if one of my tires were flat. Limped it to work, got out to pop the hood and underneath I saw oil dripping on the ground. It was not gushing out but it made a nice puddle in a few minutes. It stopped flowing after I shutdown the truck. To me it looks like it was coming from topside, didn't see no where along the block that it was coming from, truck still starts and idles so I don't believe it threw a rod or anything. What could it be? Any ideals or thoughts? At 3 in the morning I really couldn't see much and I had to leave to do my delivery route so I won't be able to look some more until I get back around 1pm. I'm so bummed, I seriously hope my truck didn't blow up on me.

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 AM

I'll be watching this, I wish I could give you some helpful insight. Unfortunatly with diesels i'm not up to snuff as I am I gas. Good luck and cross your fingers.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 AM

I'm going to tow it home tonight and see if I can see where the oil is coming from. Truck was running perfect, no indication of any problems until this morning. If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Right now I'm just looking at the positives, at least I was not a few hundred miles from home or pulling a camper... I just want to know where the oil could be coming from and what sounded like a shrapnel going thru my motor was. Could a blown turbo cause leaking oil?

Old 06-08-2012, 03:42 AM

I'm sure someone will chime in here shortly with a answer to your issues, or at least a place to start. It's still pretty early out west so not everyone has beat back the Z monster yet and crawled out of bed.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:47 AM

Good point... I'm up and at em early every morning. If you ever want to sleep in never become a milkman lol. 2am wake up calls for the past 5 years straight. Thanks for the chat... if anything its helping me blow off some steam this morning.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That sucks. You said top side, you'll have to check turbo feed tube, turbo drain tube, oil filter housing, oil cooler housing.

Your guess is as good as our until you get to dig in and check things out. Hopefully it's a simple inexpensive fix.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Really hard to say, but if it idles OK as you mentioned, I would look at the turbo. A diesel will idle fine even if the turbo is cooked, but the minute you try to give it any throttle, mayhem will commence.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:10 AM

Well I got her home, thats about as good as it gets... After about 20 minutes of searching around I finally found where the oil was coming from. Was not coming from the top side at all but instead coming from the brand new hole in the driver side of the block. So now I'm trying to weigh my options here. I don't have 15k to plop down on a new rebuilt motor. Truck only had 81k miles on it and if anyone followed my post on here than you all should know I took care of my rig. So disappointed right now... oh well.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Man that stinks, sorry that happend.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 06-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ouch!!!!

Sorry man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.