White exhaust, coolant loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White exhaust, coolant loss

Last year, 56,000 miles ago, had head gaskets, oil cooler,SCTs and studs put in. All stock. Last week developed a hairline crack in radiator at top hose inlet.
Have been adding and adding water. Some gold coolant, but not maintained the 50/50 mix.Been chasing the crack with JB Weld. Two days ago it developed a 'hollow leg', and took gallon after gallon of water. I can hear the water go [I]somewhere[I], but not until today found the puddle on the ground. Under the Muffler! Very, very sluggish starts, like my Optima yellow tops are drained. LOTS of white smoke under load, warm or cold. I took out the EGR valve and cleaned off the modest build up of carbon. Seemed to travel freely. Appeared to be dry, no moisture on valve or below it.
Truck is 2005 F-450 with 141k well maintained miles. 4X4 DRW. Hoping the forum can give me some ideas before I am relegated to the stealership.

Last edited by DVCF450; 06-07-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Troubleshooting coolant loss (white residue around cooling system components(degas))
Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Blown EGR cooler. You are pumping the coolant through the engine cylinders. Better stop driving it until you get the cooler fixed. How are your ECT/EOT deltas?

It is possible you are stretching your head bolts if you are pumping that much steamn through the engine (yes even ARPs can be stretched).

MikeB
Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Mike
That was my conclusion too. I read the thread about 'troubleshooting coolant loss', but my symptoms seem more severe. I see you have a BPD EGR cooler, how do you like it?
I am not sure how to go about this...fix it myself, hire a friend, or give it to the dealer. I know it's a big job after seeing last years' top end work. Theres alot of 'how to' write ups on these forums, but I'm an electrician by trade- not an ASME guy.
Thanks again for your reply!
Jon Howard
DVCF450
Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 AM

I have had the BPD cooler for a year, and no reason to complain. They claim to have a very low failure rate, if you have emission requirements, they are likely the way to go.

I am not a mechanic, but I was Bke to get it all done myself. If you can change struts, brakes, alternators and such, you can do an EGR cooler And oil cooler

MikeB

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

I am exempt from emission rules-as of now-in this zip code. That of course is subject to the whims of Sacramento. I have had the dealer do all my service since Nov 2004, when I bought it. Better times then, and I may be forced to do it myself this time around. Being my only vehicle, with customers' jobs upcoming, it is a tad stressful. I just hope i did'nt stretch those studs or gaskets with this blow out.
Thanks again for your experience
DVCF450
Jon

P.S. what is Bke?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 AM

Haha fat fingers and little keys.... I was able to get it done

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.