New member: Typical "cold start-crank/no start-fixed, now rough run IF start" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Craig

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New member: Typical "cold start-crank/no start-fixed, now rough run IF start"

2006 6.0L 181,000 miles ALL STOCK. Been reading all of the available 6.0 forums here and there since 2010 and have gleened a LOTs of information . Had cold start that I dealt with by just starting truck and letting warm up 20 minutes prior to using. Worked except for days I was in a hurry. Putted down road till warm and then all was fine. Like everyone else, noticed a small "miss" at idle while waiting in Taco Cabana drive through. When pulling out of parking lot, engine would not respond accordingly to throttle input! I puttered along just above idle (didn't see any smoke in mirrors) and then decided I would take a chance and cross busy 4 lane road . As soon as I turned onto road, I was immediately looking to go on across because my engine was dying (shutting down). I turned into Sonic, it died and I coasted to far parking space. ALL this on Mother's Day! My wife was surprisingly understanding. Missed church, but made the most of Mother's Day (all the while secretly pondering what could be wrong with my truck!). Spent all week buried in forums looking for answers. Only have cheap scan tool that works great on Minivan! So, I sifted through info till I decided that I would check/fix FICM 1st. FICM low voltage-reflowed soldered and 47/48. Ran good for 1.5 hours, then MD repeat. Next I would change STC fitting on HPOP and replace oil rail tubes and plugs. Successfully changed parts, cleaned IPR and ICP, found wire insulation missing (removed/deteriorated?) from oil pressure switch-repaired that. After bleeding air from fuel, truck stared right up and ran like never before. Re-start several times while cool and after warm over 30 minutes then drove. Was very happy. Thought I had arrived! Next day repeat of Mother's Day and left me stranded. More reading and decided to check valve under oil filter. Pulled filter pushed valve up and down, reinstalled filter and back to normal. ALMOST get home and MD repeat. Did the oil filter thing 3Xs to get myself into driveway. After market NAPA filter and cap. Ordered new factory cap and will install this weekend. Pulled oil filter base pieces out, cleaned and re-installed thinking that was "IT", but still not running right. VERY tired of shooting with expensive shotgun so I ordered AE scan stuff for laptop. blah blah blah GREAT truck when running, but man what a headache when it isn't! Will be asking questions about AE scanning/findings soon IF I can't find answer already on here. Hope y'all will standby and watch for my questions.

Last edited by DeepnTheHeartOfTexas; 06-07-2012 at 05:34 AM. Reason: left out FICM part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Craig

Once all was said and done (see below), my truck has been running for a cumulative 5 hours with no issues! Purchased the Auto Enginuity +Ford Enhanced Act. When I first scanned (basically playing so I would know how to use software), I found that my IPC was fine, 560ish at warmed up idle and all other pertinent things to monitor looked good. Had drivetrain codes, but didn't have any engine codes that would be causing my "crank, no start, start, no run for long, then repeat". Cleared codes and changed my oil filter cap from the NAPA back to the FOMOCO stuff and installed the "blue spring" kit while there. Would not start after these two changes (keep in mind it had been running the night before while I scanned). So, I removed the FOMOCO stuff and put the NAPA back, still no start. Was about to removed spring kit, but decided I would removed fuel filter cap and see if there was any fuel. No fuel what so ever in the bowl. I loosened fuel inlet line and turned key on for fuel pump to bleed line and I wasn't getting any fuel. Checked the fuel pump while son turned key on, didn't feel or hear anything. Didn't have any voltage at the plug. Had a blown fuel pump fuse. Replaced fuse and truck started and ran great. Scanned again and had P0230 for fuel voltage issue, but that was it. Cleared and idled for a little bit in driveway, then drove around with scanner just "monitoring" things. All looked well. Took laptop home, shutdown/re-start X3 then drove around for about 1.5 hours without issue. So, not really sure what fixed my original issue. But I think maybe I had a combination of oil leaks in the system and possible low fuel pressure. Will drive around for trhe next two weeks to see IF I'm good to go. Thanks for everyone's past information. This is the best library ever. I can remember WAY back in the 70's using big thick manuals to R&R items or rebuild engines. If you didn't have some clue how to do general "suck squeeze bang blow" troubleshooting, then you couldn't fix things. Wow, have we ever come far!!!!!

Last edited by DeepnTheHeartOfTexas; 06-17-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good job, I think you are gonna really like the AE. It has a lil bit of a learning curve for the more advanced diagnostics but well worth it.
You will find you have a scanner nearly the equal of the Ford Rotunda and the IDS software. Continue to play with it try the different functions see how they work under various conditions and pid configureations. Best way to learn on any advanced scanner.

My best advice is to set up some custom configureations choose only the most relevant pids for the situation your testing for. Gets rid of the clutter, as you probably noticed there are an awfull lot of relatively useless pids, data you will hardly ever need for diagnostics. By custom configureing you can remove distacting data and only watch what you need to watch.

Enjoy Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.