Nightmare trip...truck engine stalling every 32 seconds like clockwork for 150 miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 10:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nightmare trip...truck engine stalling every 32 seconds like clockwork for 150 miles

Hi Powerstrokers - I have a 2003 Excursion with early build 6.0. 135,000 on the ticker, no mods.
Never any trouble until last year I had the FICM rebuilt due to low voltage output with hard starting issue and replaced the ICP sensor due to an erratic idle.
Going to the beach this past weekend and after dropping the boat in the water, the engine dies trying to park at the ramp. It restarts; I say OK we'll see what happens when we get back.
It was stalling out every 32 seconds (I am not kidding, we timed it with a digital watch) It was to the point you could count up to 31 and point your finger and sure enough it would die.

It did not matter the speed, load, anything. We stopped at a store and I tested it in the parking lot, at idle....32 seconds on the money!

It is throwing a P2285 code, ICP sensor reads low.

If you goosed the pedal it would jerk the rpm up to 1500-2000 or so and belch black smoke out the tailpipe. I had some very, very pissed off folks behind me. I figure out if when it dies I put it in neutral, the engine would completely dies and I could restart it for the next 32 seconds at least.
I got home by putting in neutral, restarting and then back in drive going about 40-45 the entire way.

What is strange is we had a 1/2 tank fuel and the miles to empty overhead gauge stopped counting down, it was frozen showing 202 remaining for several hours.. So we are limping home and about 30 miles from the house the stalling issue decreased cycle time to 50 seconds or so, and then went away completely! The miles to empty gauge went from 202 to 100 instantly.

It has since stopped only three times from when I dropped off my crew at their houses and then me going home. This morning coming to work, the truck ran great.

Is the 32 seconds and miles to empty gauge frozen clues to something in particular? Bad fuel, clogged fuel flow sensor or line? Fuel filters were changed last month.

Had to leave the boat in storage at the beach, did not want to risk anything with the stalling and trying to tow something back at the same time. Engine dies so does power brakes and steering, had a couple of questionable stops twice along the way.
Bright side is we caught fish and I have a definite excuse to get back to the beach soon as the truck is fixed!

Any insight to this issue is appreciated!

Last edited by Scott_K; 06-04-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Unfortunately, these are the same symptoms for most everything that goes wrong with the 6.0 engine... It could be that you have multiple issues, but I wouldn't give a whole lot of consideration to the overhead gauge issue or to the timing of the stalling. It's probably something else. I'm leaning towards a high pressure oil leak or an issue in the HPOP system.

The early 6.0's have known issues with the ICP pigtail getting saturated with oil causing erratic issues like you describe, so I'm hoping that since yours was replaced, that isn't your issue. Has your Excursion repeated this behavior since you had your issue? If not, that's going to make it difficult to troubleshoot.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:18 AM

Shawn - The truck has ran normally through driving in town and back and forth to work since the issue happened. I have not put more fuel in it, but will need to in the next day or so from my trusted source near the house.
I think indicators are leaing towards needing to change the ICP and the wires again so I am gearing up to do that, clear the engine light, and then find something heavy to pull and see what happens.
Will report back after I do all that.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds good, buddy. Keep us posted.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

really strange. buddy of mine had an '08 Dodge that would run/drive perfect. but when you shut the truck off, every 30 seconds you would hear all of the solenoids under the hood buzz/click/etc. the lift pump would cycle on/of like somebody was hitting the key and turning it off.

every 30 seconds exactly you could launch the space shuttle off of it

I put a spare ECM on it and it started doing it as soon as I reconnected power, so that wasn't it. I suspected it was the TIPM. He put the ECM on a toggle switch! LOL

complete and total tangent from your issue and zero help, BUT I do know how surreal it is for an "intermittent" problem to be perfectly timed
Old 06-05-2012, 06:56 AM

A fuel delivery issue wouldn't have that exact timing. I think I would fix it based on that code so it sounds like you're on the right track

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
Old 06-05-2012, 07:46 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Does the PCM monitor something at 32 seconds after start up?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
Does the PCM monitor something at 32 seconds after start up?
That was kind of my point of putting that detail in there, it would vary a little between 32 and 34 seconds, maybe the way we were starting and stopping the wristwatch timer. I was thinking what in the world is looking for some condition after startup and the initial sensor sweep?

That timing and the miles remaining gauge are curious clues to this in my mind. I have the parts ordered, will know hopefully in a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.